Looking for a backpack

Mc Fraser

Hello,
Are there any reps in Western Canada for different backpack brands? I know KUIU has a rep in Red Deer, AB. I'm getting serious about sheep hunting and I need something in the line of the 7800 from KUIU. I want to be able to try it, fit it, feel it, etc.

TIA.

Don't most all of these bag companies these days allow a 30 day trial?
Put it on, throw 30 or so pounds in it, dance around the house, adjust it, dance some more, keep adjusting, walk up and down the stairs for a few hundred hours...

Don't like it send it back for a full refund type thing.

Costs you shipping, but if you're serious about sheep hunting, $20 in shipping fees a few times seems like an insanely small price, especially given you can keep making adjustments and try these things over a few weeks.

Don't most all of these bag companies these days allow a 30 day trial?
Put it on, throw 30 or so pounds in it, dance around the house, adjust it, dance some more, keep adjusting, walk up and down the stairs for a few hundred hours...

Don't like it send it back for a full refund type thing.

Costs you shipping, but if you're serious about sheep hunting, $20 in shipping fees a few times seems like an insanely small price, especially given you can keep making adjustments and try these things over a few weeks.
Thanks. That might be true in US but not in Canada. Shipping is usually $50 to $120 one way and the returns policies in US don't really apply for Canada. This is my experience with two brands.

I recently got a smaller pack of the Mystery Ranch Pintler. Very impressive and has the same frame for their much larger bags. Nice deals to be found this time of year too

I'd recommend stone glacier. I have tried Kuiu packs and don't find them as comfortable. That said, everyone's frame is different. Stone glaciers are extremely durable, light weight, and have not let me down in AK yet. My good friend also recommends EXO, used his successfully on a dall sheep hunt last year.

Have you been on a multi day hunt with it?
The pintler is too small for a multi day hunt. More of a day hunt style with option to pack out a deer. You could maybe get a night out of it though.
Primarily referencing the frame. I wanted to get an exo initially but the pintler was under $300 so I decided to go this route. Very impressed.

I would highly recommend Stone Glacier or Kifaru. They both have rave reviews. I went with Kifaru because SG didn't come in camo and there were so many great reviews on the comfort of the Kifaru belt and the ability to fine adjust to your particular body frame. Once you have a Kifaru frame there are a lot of different bags and accessories to choose from. I would recommend 6,000+ cu in bag. It's always possible to cinch down a larger bag but if to small you are screwed! I've used the heck out of my Kifaru on numerous Alaska, Wyo, Utah, and Colo trips and it has never let me down!

Don't underestimate Seek Outside packs...they are suuuuper light and very modular. I've been exceptionally happy with mine (Unaweep 4800 with a Talon and top lid...makes it about 6k. I put an entire bone in mule deer and all my gear in it...100#. Carried it several miles with zero issues.

If you,re going to pack out meat or a head I would recommend an external frame pack.
**** Straight. I have three Mystery ranch Packs. The biggest is the Selway. I modified it so I can attach the Guide Lid and with the lid it is 4,800 ci. Maybe not big enough for your sheep hunt. But I have packed two deer out with it. It is as advertised and as tough as anything made. It cartwheeled 2200 feet down a mountain in Idaho packed with 70 pounds and the only damage was a minor abrasion. that said, I packed a big whitetail out this year with my Frontier Gear of Alaska Freighter Frame and pack. The frame pack balanced the weight better and kept it off my back. If I was going after sheep, I know I would take my external frame from Barney's Sports Chalet. There is a reason all the Alaskan guides have one strapped to their backs. https://barneyssports.com/product-category/default-category/packs-bags/external-frame/

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.