Looking for a 300 RUM 125 gr TNT Load

Alucard

Hello. Anyone have a good load for the 300 RUM using a 125 gr Speer TNT? I am going to use those bad boys on some gophers and rabbits in the spring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have Retumbo, H-1000, and H-4831sc. I am looking for minute of gopher accuracy out to 300 yards plus. Any suggestions? Any other powders that I should try for varmint bullets? Thanks for the info.

Just in case you are not aware, the TNT's have a velocity limit suggested by Speer of 3200 fps max. I know you can push them much faster in the 300RUM. Maybe a 125gr ballistic tip would be better suited for your gun and velocity?

Wildcat Bullets can make you some 68 grain .30 cal bullets that are just over .9 inches long for good accuracy. Those babies can be pushed faster than the TNTs (4000+)and are showing some devastating effects.

Richard G.
780-352-8592
[email protected]

He might have a few recipies for you as well.

Thanks for the tips guys. I actually have some of those 68 gr bullets already. I only have Magnum style powders with slow burn rates. The necks weren't sealing properly and the cases were coming out very dirty. Also, I coulnd't get those bullets to shoot very well past 100 yards - anything that isn't 3/4" or smaller is bad for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Alucard,

Gonehuntingagain is right on. The TNTs have a speed limit and I have found you can not exceed it by more than 200 fps and they will start coming apart.

I have a 300wm that I built just for shooting pds. I have been frustrated by this problem for quite a while. The most accurate 100-110 gr. varmint 30 cal. bullet is the 110 gr. V-max. I have personally shot several thousand of these and like them. They also have a "speed limit" of about 3700 fps. Most hold together if kept under 3750, but you will occasionally get one that comes apart.

In the 125-130 gr. class, I use to use the Speer 130 gr. HP. This will hold together at higher speeds than the TNT, but I wasn't real keen on the accuracy. The 125 ball tip did not impress me either with its accuracy.

I have just started testing the Wildcat 130s. I think this might be the bullet I am going to use from now on. I have cronoed 3715 fps and the accuracy is better than anything else in that weight class. Construction looks like it will hold up to the high rpms, the bc has to be better than the others in this class. Preliminary testing looks real good.

I would recommend the Wildcat 130.

Jim

Thanks for the tip Waltech Jim. I have some of those 130 gr P10 Wildcat bullets. I have tried a few of his bullets, I like the performace of all of them so far, and the accuracy is top notch. I have shyed away from he Wildcat bullets due to the fact that I seem to get alot of copper in the barrel when shooting them. In the 300 RUM, a few rounds and the barrel is a nice orange bronze color from the jackets. I do not know if it is the bullets or a rougher barrel. I broke the barrel in by shooting 1 then cleaning for about 35 rounds. Anyone else seem to have this problem? Especially in the 300 RUM?

Alucard,

That is a loaded question and I will not get drawn in by it.

Anyone who is fouling barrels using moly, by all means should not be using it.

Have a good day, Sir.

Jim

Oh, no, I didn't mean anything by it. All the calibers that I have are all the ultra velocity types - .220 Swift, .300 RUM - It doesn't seem to matter what I use in them, they always foul up. If the spray Molly leaves less, then I am going to have to try that stuff out. Thanks for the advice.

Alucard,

Not sure if the spray will work at all. What I do know is if I vibrate to imprint the moly (as I usually do) with the large hollow point opening I will fill up the cavity with moly. I have been there before, and if I can avoid that I will.

Gotta get going.

Jim

With the Lyman moly coating, the moly is not loose in the tumbler with just the bullets. There is a ceramic media that the bullets and moly are mixed in with. About 1/8 of a teaspoon will do several hunder bullets. I coated the 68 gr Wildcats with no problems of moly in the HP.

Alucard,

I think I might know what is causing the copper deposition you experienced.

If you have any 68/130 Wildcats around, when you get some time, measure the OD of some of them. I measured the 68s some time ago and measured the 130s this morning, they are both .309 on my equipment. If this is the case with yours, what do you think??

Is it possible the "robust" OD is contributing to the copper deposition?? It would make sense to me.

And with that startling discovery, I am wondering just how good my spray moly will stand up to those forces. I don't think it will. I think I will have to pound the stuff into the jacket so it will hold.

Hey, wait a second. I thought I read something about someone using Lyman moly etc., and they said it worked without filling up the cavity. I'll have to look for that information. It was around here somewhere..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jim

B.J.,

Thanks for the tip!!!!!!!

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.