Looking for 7mm-08 pet loads

jhfleming

Looking for pet load data for accuracy in a 7mm-08 using a 175 grain Nosler Accubond Long Range Spitzer, or a 162 grain A-Max. What powder at what weight and what primer?

I load for the 7mm-08, but I do not load it with 162-175 grain bullets. I have some great loads for the 139 Hornady SP and some loads for the 150 Nosler Long Range Accubond.

When I had a 7mm-08 the better performance was with the 130-150 gr range. What are you going to do with the heavier bullet? Targets? Sent you a pm on a link to another site.

Cool I hunt with a 140 gr so any information you are will to share on any loads would be much appreciated. How accurate do you find the 150 Nosler Long Range Accubond to be?
I'm currently using 130gr Matchking w/Federal 210M primers and Varget powder for testing and get some good groups but have the occasional flyer. Any insight on why I'm getting the flyers? I'm very meticulous about the accuracy of my loads. Thanks Shortmagnum!

Using the 175 for long range hunting it has a .672 B.C. and with the heavier weight should be better for long range, less wind deflection and better terminal balliatics. Time & testing will tell if this is true.

I load for a friend's Savage Model 16 with a 22 in barrel. He has had great success shooting deer with a 139 Hornady SP and 139 Hornady BTSP using RP cases, WLR primers and a Max load of RL-19 powder. He has shot deer out to 310 yards with the 139 BTSP. The velocity that we have been able to obtain with this loads is around 2875 ft/sec.

The max load according to some data is around 50.0 grains of RL-19, some show 51.0 grains, we are using 50.5 which is a compressed load.

We have not had as much success with the 150 LR Accubond, but we are working on that load. I ran out of bullets and I had to wait for Nosler to produce more.

Using the 175 for long range hunting it has a .672 B.C. and with the heavier weight should be better for long range, less wind deflection and better terminal balliatics. Time & testing will tell if this is true.

There is always a balance though and at some point you can get too heavy for the cartridge where the MV speed to low that a bit lighter bullet will actually pencil out better. I'd be concerned with that 175gr you may only see 2400-2500fps for a MV from something like a 22" barrel. Nosler doesn't have load data for that combo but with the 175gr partition and a 26" wiseman they have max MVs from 2472-2623fps. Good luck if you persue and post results.
7mm-08 Remington Load Data

I use hornady 139gr BTSP for target work, IIRC its 42.5 grains of varget but I'd need to double check notes (start low and work up). I hunt with the 145gr LRX and 39.8gr varget. Out of my 22" tikka I see 2800+ for the 129s and about 2700 for the 145s for my accuracy nodes.

Good information, yes I'm concerned about the weight too, will advise on the results. I'm looking for a load that works well out to 800 yards for Antelope. What distances have you gone out to? I assume these loads are the most accurate for your rifle? Thanks for your help!

Good information, yes I'm concerned about the weight too, will advise on the results. I'm looking for a load that works well out to 800 yards for Antelope. What distances have you gone out to? I assume these loads are the most accurate for your rifle? Thanks for your help!

I tried 1/2dozen bullets in my gun, the 139s are an affordable bullet that shoots just under 2" at 200yd for me and that is my target round. I perfer to hunt monos and the 145s shoot a bit over 1" at 200yd for me. I have to drive farther away to shoot past 200yd but done a bit out to 300-350 range so far, planning to focus on longer over this spring.

If you like the LRAB I'd imagine you could get the 150gr one going in the 2700fps range. At 5500' (that's what I have my calc set on) that would theoretically still be moving ~1800fps with ~1100ftlb at 800yd.

I'd suggest you get some Nosler 7mm-08 brass. You will be able to explore the upper limits of your testing range a great deal. ("explore the space" as they say on that cowbell skit) Nosler brass holds up to pressure a lot more than other brass.

For the last year I've been "watching" peoples' comments about LRABS in many different calibers. I can't seem to recall anyone having any success in shooting groups or killing animals. I had a miserable time trying to make it work.

I've had great luck with those 145 LRX. Great flying bullet. However, I've somewhat lost my religion on Barnes for killing power on tiny itty bitty animals (i.e. Central Texas deer). It's almost like they need a big bodied animal to "open up." I had a perfect double lung shot on a antelope at 100 yrds (dropped it) but the internal damage was minimal - almost as if I had shot FMJ.

A high BC round out of your 7mm-08 will be great for long range windy goat hunting. I'm amazed at how well 7mm-08 will defeat cross winds. What I tell myself is "estimate cross wind hold over. Cut that in half. then be prepared to cut that in half again." It's real easy to overhold on cross wind.

I get about 2650 fps with 41.0 gr of H414 on 160 gr Speers. No pressure, no sticky bolt. Put that under some Amax and you'll be nailing the x-ring at 800 yrds.

7mm-08 is like a blacksmith's anvil - you just can't break it.

Got the Nosler brass already was very impressed with the quality, it's the only brass I will buy now. I take it that you are getting tight groups with the H414. Have you tried Varget yet?

yes sir, had a better load with Varget under 160s - tighter group. Just cant recall the powder weight and haven't cronied it yet.

I was looking at the Hogdon site last night and they list that IMR 8208 under 160s at 2725 fps. so figure you can play with that and maybe get a good group at 2750 or better. That would be awesome under an Amax if it will group.

130 gr Sierra Matchking HPBT w/Moly lube, Varget 43.9 gr, jump 0.043 avg speed 2915.8 fps, 5 shot group 0.67", 3 shot group 0.33", 2 shot group 0.13", Remington 700 SPS.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts