Looking at the latest crop of 6.5mm long range hunting bullets . . . what holds up to high speed impacts?

I just remembered a white tail doe I shot at 30 yards with a 300WM running 180 grain factory ammo. It was the first and last time I'd ever do that. It was an epic mess. I am glad I shot her in the ribs or I would have lost the entire front of the deer. On another note, I shot a mule deer with a 220 swift running 3900 in the chest and angle at 75. The exit hole was large.

I've never seen any animal shot where there was only some sort of flesh wound due to an exploded bullet. I know it can happen on shoulder blades and ribs of elk but just haven't seen it personally. Most of the elk hunts I've guided the animals were under 200 and everything was on the ground if the shot was in the kill zone. Those that were lost or tracked for a distance were very poor shots.

I see, have had similar experiences, and understand your problem. What do you shoot now, knowing light for caliber bullets and high velocity don't mix(that'll fire some people up)? 6.5 means either 129gr. or 142gr. in LRAB, at 2800fps on impact, I'll take that all day and twice on Sunday on whitetails at any angle.

I'm also interested in hearing about what bullets have worked well for you guys. I was going to ask you that, until I read this guy's post.

I'm also interested in hearing about what bullets have worked well for you guys. I was going to ask you that, until I read this guy's post.
For just about every bullet out there your going to find a slew of guys who swear by them. Why? My general belief is because they all work well within their intended use, and the guys who use them that way get good results. Each has specific advantages and disadvantages, often increasingly exaggerated with longer ranges, others at high velocity and short distances. Do you need a bullet for close range, long range, or a mix? Elk or coyotes? Dangerous game or not? Follow the manufacturer's guidelines and you'll be fine. Personally, I prefer Nosler and Berger, but would feel confident with Hornady or Speer or others as long as the bullets was designed for what I intended to use it for. When you start reaching for the fringes, there's less room for error, and more chance for failure, so I try to stay away from that. But "long range hunting" is by nature at the fringes. 30 years ago I shot my first deer with a .243win, 80 grain soft point at 175yards. Today, I wouldn't even consider that combo unless it was all I had, although I still shoot and believe in the 243 win. Just my 2 cents and general thought.

. . . 6.5 means either 129gr. or 142gr. in LRAB, at 2800fps on impact, I'll take that all day and twice on Sunday on whitetails at any angle.
This is one thing I was curious about. Many people gravitate to the heaviest option for the higher BC; but for middle ranges lighter offerings can sometimes have better drift #s. I hadn't bothered to run any #s through my calculator though, as I hadn't heard how effective the 129/130gr offerings were on large whitetail, particularly with high speed impacts.
Have you put many 6.5 129LRABs on target and seen the effectiveness yourself, particularly on shots that weren't broadsides through the ribs?

I just remembered a white tail doe I shot at 30 yards with a 300WM running 180 grain factory ammo. It was the first and last time I'd ever do that. It was an epic mess. I am glad I shot her in the ribs or I would have lost the entire front of the deer.
You might give a harder bullet, like a Barns a try. At sub 20 yards I've put a 165ttsx @ 3175MV through a decent buck, broadside angling back and down (elevated shooting position) Meat damage was minimal, exit hole was quarter sized, internals were devastated, buck was dead before it hit the ground. Really, it was a perfect result, despite how close the buck was.
After seeing results like that a few times, the ttsx has become my go to bullet anytime I'm expecting close range shots with medium or large cartridges. . .but I prefer something softer with a much higher BC when prioritizing longer ranges.

This is one thing I was curious about. Many people gravitate to the heaviest option for the higher BC; but for middle ranges lighter offerings can sometimes have better drift #s. I hadn't bothered to run any #s through my calculator though, as I hadn't heard how effective the 129/130gr offerings were on large whitetail, particularly with high speed impacts.
Have you put many 6.5 129LRABs on target and seen the effectiveness yourself, particularly on shots that weren't broadsides through the ribs?
No, but if you'll hold a deer for me, I'll shoot it at whatever angle you want, point blank range from my 260AI loaded with 129gr. ABLR at 2800fps and I'll lay even money every time it dies a sudden death. Is there a possibility of failure? Sure, everything is a possibility. More velocity will probably make the bullets more explosive on impact, but this should be enough gun to cleanly kill regardless(on deer sized game).
But seriously, I've always used BT's and AB's. Hoping to use 129 ABLR with my 6.5 Grendel. What's the benefit of ABLR's over say AB's? BC and extended range, primarily from the bullet opening down all the way to 1300fps due to a thin jacket, right? So if you need to kill something at a range between 1800 and 1300fps theoretically the ABLR should be a benefit, provided your shooting something within the capability of the 6.5 with a 129 or 142gr bullet(meaning you shouldn't be hunting Cape Buffalo with this caliber/bullet combination generally speaking, right?).
Drift and high speed impact don't go together. If your shooting so far as to have a drift issue, your probably not dealing with high speed at that point, generally speaking, right?
For me, my 300wsm(Elk size game) shoots farther and with more energy for the game I'm after with 180 AB's than I can, so I haven't found a need for 190gr ABLR's yet(believe you me, I rely wanted to shot these, but the ballistics tell me I don't need them, plus my off the shelf Winchester twist rate may not like them, I know it likes 180AB's) Plus I believe it will hold up better at close range. Win/win. I like the performance I've been getting with berger 130vld's in my 260AI(deer sized game), but planning to change to 135 classics when I have enough casings. The 135's have a higher BC than the 129 ABLR and reach far enough for me, so again I don't need the 142 ABLR. Others needs may require the ABLR.
I said I was thinking about 129 ABLR's for my 6.5 grendel. Why? Here's my theory and it's only a theory. The 6.5 grendel needs all the help it can get to be effective at longer ranges. Because the ABLR's bullets will open down to 1300fps, I believe I increase the distance I can harvest a deer/coyote. At 2400fps it only carries 1,000 ft lbs out to around 375yds or so at my elevation, where it's traveling a little over 1800fps. This would normally be velocity limit for most bullets. Because the ABLR will open at slower speeds, I think I can get another 100 to 200 yards of effective performance. At mountain elevations this might be all a guy needs for mule deer. The other reason I'm thinking about the 129 ABLR for the 6.5 Grendel is because with only a 2400fps muzzle velocity, I shouldn't have a issue with the bullet blowing up at close range. It's traveling to slow. This is also my theory for BT's, they might work better in rifles that are velocity challenged, were they wont blow up at close range, and open easier at longer ranges.
Please note, this is generally speaking and theory based on my experience. There are always outliers, always. I know this probably doesn't help much with your question, but there are lots of guys on here with real world experience with the ABLR's that can give you their experience.
Food for thought, if nothing else.

Well we have switched to 142 LRAB. This years results so far.
One bear 250lbs 175 yards quartering to me 6.5 Sherman entrance point of shoulder exit opposite flank ran 10 yards.
Three antelope all 6.5 Creed. 1 346 yards high shoulder DRT devastating. 1 702 yards quartering to me entrance point of shoulder and exit opposite flank went 100 yards and died great wound. 1 380 yards broadside boom flop great wound through the shoulders.
Mule deer large buck. 146 yards had to take what we got impact in hip. Put him down died of bloodloss in under 60 seconds. Completely shattered pelvis and exited flank.

You might give a harder bullet, like a Barns a try. At sub 20 yards I've put a 165ttsx @ 3175MV through a decent buck, broadside angling back and down (elevated shooting position) Meat damage was minimal, exit hole was quarter sized, internals were devastated, buck was dead before it hit the ground. Really, it was a perfect result, despite how close the buck was.
After seeing results like that a few times, the ttsx has become my go to bullet anytime I'm expecting close range shots with medium or large cartridges. . .but I prefer something softer with a much higher BC when prioritizing longer ranges.
Yeah good info. I'm a bow hunter so most everything is done with an arrow. I use my rifle for wolves because the bow is just way too challenging to be consistently successful

No, but if you'll hold a deer for me, I'll shoot it at whatever angle you want, point blank range from my 260AI loaded with 129gr. ABLR at 2800fps and I'll lay even money every time it dies a sudden death. Is there a possibility of failure? Sure, everything is a possibility. More velocity will probably make the bullets more explosive on impact, but this should be enough gun to cleanly kill regardless(on deer sized game).
But seriously, I've always used BT's and AB's. Hoping to use 129 ABLR with my 6.5 Grendel. What's the benefit of ABLR's over say AB's? BC and extended range, primarily from the bullet opening down all the way to 1300fps due to a thin jacket, right? So if you need to kill something at a range between 1800 and 1300fps theoretically the ABLR should be a benefit, provided your shooting something within the capability of the 6.5 with a 129 or 142gr bullet(meaning you shouldn't be hunting Cape Buffalo with this caliber/bullet combination generally speaking, right?).
Drift and high speed impact don't go together. If your shooting so far as to have a drift issue, your probably not dealing with high speed at that point, generally speaking, right?
For me, my 300wsm(Elk size game) shoots farther and with more energy for the game I'm after with 180 AB's than I can, so I haven't found a need for 190gr ABLR's yet(believe you me, I rely wanted to shot these, but the ballistics tell me I don't need them, plus my off the shelf Winchester twist rate may not like them, I know it likes 180AB's) Plus I believe it will hold up better at close range. Win/win. I like the performance I've been getting with berger 130vld's in my 260AI(deer sized game), but planning to change to 135 classics when I have enough casings. The 135's have a higher BC than the 129 ABLR and reach far enough for me, so again I don't need the 142 ABLR. Others needs may require the ABLR.
I said I was thinking about 129 ABLR's for my 6.5 grendel. Why? Here's my theory and it's only a theory. The 6.5 grendel needs all the help it can get to be effective at longer ranges. Because the ABLR's bullets will open down to 1300fps, I believe I increase the distance I can harvest a deer/coyote. At 2400fps it only carries 1,000 ft lbs out to around 375yds or so at my elevation, where it's traveling a little over 1800fps. This would normally be velocity limit for most bullets. Because the ABLR will open at slower speeds, I think I can get another 100 to 200 yards of effective performance. At mountain elevations this might be all a guy needs for mule deer. The other reason I'm thinking about the 129 ABLR for the 6.5 Grendel is because with only a 2400fps muzzle velocity, I shouldn't have a issue with the bullet blowing up at close range. It's traveling to slow. This is also my theory for BT's, they might work better in rifles that are velocity challenged, were they wont blow up at close range, and open easier at longer ranges.
Please note, this is generally speaking and theory based on my experience. There are always outliers, always. I know this probably doesn't help much with your question, but there are lots of guys on here with real world experience with the ABLR's that can give you their experience.
Food for thought, if nothing else.

Not to detract from the OP question but I have 2 Grendels and my thinking is exactly the same as yours. I do wish they'd introduce a lighter version say in the 110-115 grain range specifically for the Grendel to get the velocity up a bit.
I just last night loaded up some Hammer 109 Absolutes for the Grendel and look forward to seeing if they are as claimed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for factory 6.5 PRC high speed impacts (sub 100 yards) on deer? I'm shooting the 143 ELDX at the range right now, but without real world experience on animals, I'm worried about the close range impacts that I will likely have during hunting season.
There are some factory offerings in 6.5 PRC loaded with Barnes bullets. I don't personally shoot the Barnes bullets except some of their varmint bullets in .224" and 6mm but reload for a few buddies who like using them for antelope, deer, elk, moose and bear in 6.5mm , 7mm and .308" and they have performed very well. Good accuracy and consistent terminal performance at ranges out to 600 yards. For mono's I shoot Hammers, cutting edge and Badlands but loaded options for them are limited.

Norma recently released their new 6.5 cal 143 grain Bondstrike. It is loaded in 6.5 CM, 6.5x55mm and 6.5-284 Norma as factory ammo. The New Zealand importer also lists it in 6.5 PRC. It appears that the bullet is also being offered as a component on the Norma website.

Last season I shot a good size muley buck at about 80 yds. Shot was angled a bit catching the very back edge of the right shoulder blade , coming in from the front. 143 gr ELD-X. Fired from my 6.5x06. MV 3075 fps. Exploded like a bomb. Lost the entire right front shoulder , plus severely blood shot meat all the way into the base of the neck. Because of the very long skinny ogive ( nose ) of the bullet it makes them fragile. They may work fine on a rib cage shot , but not where resistance is encountered. Heavy bodied bucks taken with a Barnes 6.5 100gr or Hammer 110 gr will penetrate from sever angles & not destroy meat. Eat right up to the hole. I hunt for the meat not the horns. Next best is the Nosler Partition which will still destroy some meat , but not like a full length C&C. Just because a cup & core bullet has a catchy name like ELD-X , it is still a C&C bullet like any other.
Also took a very mature elk last season with my 264 mag & the Hammer 6.5 121gr. Shot was centered through an opening in the brush into the right shoulder. Complete penetration, both shoulders , with a DRT. Almost zero blood shot meat. For me I would never use the 143 gr ELD-X on a shot like that.

My wife just got her bull with 142 ablrs at an impact velocity around 2900.
She put one right through the center of the shoulder and it blew through the scapula and broke the offside leg bone before exiting.

I'm very impressed with the penetration but it still blew a huge wound channel on impact similar to bergers and other explosive bullets.
The difference being that the base of the bullet still held together enough to punch through.

I'm probably going to switch to monolithic bullets to avoid massive meat damage
Here's a picture of the offside leg bone
output1(3).jpg

2 deer shot with my prc last weekend showed 2700-2750 impact FPS with a 143. One neck and one shoulder and both minimal damage and drt. Exit holes about 1.5"

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.