Looking at the latest crop of 6.5mm long range hunting bullets . . . what holds up to high speed impacts?

Does anyone have any suggestions for factory 6.5 PRC high speed impacts (sub 100 yards) on deer? I'm shooting the 143 ELDX at the range right now, but without real world experience on animals, I'm worried about the close range impacts that I will likely have during hunting season.

Nosler BT bullets having good results 6.5 Grendel and Creedmoor. Been getting 2325 to 2344 MV with the Grendel, tears Varmints apart!

I mentioned something about the "old" Accubond earlier, but am personally using the 139 scenar as my do-everything bullet.
when you see how it held up at 40 yards on the mule deer buck that Pat shot out of his 6.5 SAUM, you don't wonder about that bullet any longer.

I've just shot two Red Stags this week (~200lb field-dressed) with the Factory ELD-X 143gr.
Impact velocities were approximately 2490fps & 2425 fps.
Both shots were heart/lung; both had exits & both went down within 20 seconds/20 yards.
Exactly what I got with 139gr Scenars, but without having to home-load.
Hope that helps.

I'm happy with the LRAB in several calibers in several cartridges. Used 178gr .308" ELDX in an .30/06 at 2750 fps and shot a doe at 50 yds, and a muley buck at 200 yds. The bullet hit tight behind shoulder broadside and exploded in the chest and sent fragments through the diaphragm into the guts, big mess. The buck took the hit in the shoulder and the jacket came off and didn't make it to the off side lung. But it kills coyotes great...... ABLR are soft on the front but the shank holds up and they open way out there. My .02

Generally speaking, I don't think it matters what you shot in a 6.5 if it's traveling 2800fps or faster when it hits a deer. That's MV(see point blank range) for 6.5cm/260rem with 130's depending on your setup. Whether or not the bullet holds together, or passes through is not going to matter IMO. The deer will be dead quite rapidly. At that velocity, which is to say fairly close range, a well placed shot shouldn't be a problem, which is far more important, than what bullet your shooting. Generally speaking.

So based on your numbers you are shooting them at point blank range, so less than 200. . . .
IMHO if you are overly concerned about high velocity issues and bullet fragmentation back off your loads. We all love those high numbers on the chrono but is it needed for close in shots? I don't think so but that just my experience.

One of my favorite "bad weather" shooting lanes is 483 yards long, and they have a habit of walking out most often either in the 70-100 range or at 400+. The higher the starting velocity, the easier the wind is to manage at the far end. And then, just in general I have locations that stretch beyond any practical limit; stalking closer is the usual solution, but long range options are nice for when getting closer before running out of opportunity, or light isn't possible. . . Then there are those lucky days when a nice buck will appear out of no-where, somehow already within 40 yards of me; can't pass those up just because I'm carrying my "long range" rifle; but it would be nice if I didn't destroy them too badly.

Looking at various 6.5s other's have here, it seems 3100fps at the muzzle should be doable with the 142/143s, so bullets are going to be still cooking along pretty hot until they get past the first 200 yards, but they'll still hit decently hard at 500.

No bullet is perfect at point blank and max range . . . but some are better than others, and I'm just trying to sort out how the new generation of high BC offerings are working out for people before deciding what path to take.

Last edited:
No bullet is perfect at point blank and max range . . . but some are better than others, and I'm just trying to sort out how the new generation of high BC offerings are working out for people before deciding what path to take.
👆This point exactly. Which is why I also asked to see if there were any real world examples of factory loads in 6.5 PRC close range impacts on deer.

Generally speaking, I don't think it matters what you shot in a 6.5 if it's traveling 2800fps or faster when it hits a deer. That's MV(see point blank range) for 6.5cm/260rem with 130's depending on your setup. Whether or not the bullet holds together, or passes through is not going to matter IMO. The deer will be dead quite rapidly. At that velocity, which is to say fairly close range, a well placed shot shouldn't be a problem, which is far more important, than what bullet your shooting. Generally speaking.

This may be true with that perfect broadside shot into the ribs. But it is not true if one hits a shoulder or has to put a bullet through at an angle. I have seen deer that have been hit with high velocity lite constructed bullets in the ribs and it exploded on the hide and only fragged the onside lung and the deer have ran for ever. If dogs were not allowed to be used to trail them up they would have been lost. I have also seen 100 gr Nosler BT running around 3600 fps at muzzle out of my hunting buddies 264 Win Mag just blow the onside shoulder to pulp on a couple 80ish pound doe at around 100 yards and require a second shot to kill them. We did crop damage control on a big farm, my buddie for 30 and I for 15 of those years and we got to experiment with a lot of bullets and calibers to find what worked and what did not.

One of my favorite "bad weather" shooting lanes is 483 yards long, and they have a habit of walking out most often either in the 70-100 range or at 400+. The higher the starting velocity, the easier the wind is to manage at the far end. And then, just in general I have locations that stretch beyond any practical limit; stalking closer is the usual solution, but long range options are nice for when getting closer before running out of opportunity, or light isn't possible. . . Then there are those lucky days when a nice buck will appear out of no-where, somehow already within 40 yards of me; can't pass those up just because I'm carrying my "long range" rifle; but it would be nice if I didn't destroy them too badly.

Looking at various 6.5s other's have here, it seems 3100fps at the muzzle should be doable with the 142/143s, so bullets are going to be still cooking along pretty hot until they get past the first 200 yards, but they'll still hit decently hard at 500.

At those ranges the wind would have to be crazy high to amount to anything in my book. 15 mph running a 135 at 3100 in my prc vs a 140 at 2770 in my creed nets .7 MOA or 3.5". I get your point and it's exactly why I pack my PRC vs the creed. I need the extra, in my mind, to make up for terrain based wind errors. However, generally my terrain dictates a little further shot opp. Most wolves are 300 plus. Ive killed quite a few up close, 6 under 100, but the majority are much further. I'd not be concerned shooting deer in the boiler room, head, or neck. I'd not take a shoulder shot.

This may be true with that perfect broadside shot into the ribs. But it is not true if one hits a shoulder or has to put a bullet through at an angle. I have seen deer that have been hit with high velocity lite constructed bullets in the ribs and it exploded on the hide and only fragged the onside lung and the deer have ran for ever. If dogs were not allowed to be used to trail them up they would have been lost. I have also seen 100 gr Nosler BT running around 3600 fps at muzzle out of my hunting buddies 264 Win Mag just blow the onside shoulder to pulp on a couple 80ish pound doe at around 100 yards and require a second shot to kill them. We did crop damage control on a big farm, my buddie for 30 and I for 15 of those years and we got to experiment with a lot of bullets and calibers to find what worked and what did not.
I see, have had similar experiences, and understand your problem. What do you shoot now, knowing light for caliber bullets and high velocity don't mix(that'll fire some people up)? 6.5 means either 129gr. or 142gr. in LRAB, at 2800fps on impact, I'll take that all day and twice on Sunday on whitetails at any angle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts