Looking at the latest crop of 6.5mm long range hunting bullets . . . what holds up to high speed impacts?

Hornyforracks

I've seen some writing of the Nosler LRABs being soft and not holding together as well as the old Nos ABs, so I looked into the Hornady ELD-X, but then I saw a review that mentioned the jacket usually separated, despite the locking groove.
Firing these bullets into large whitetail at 2800-3000, how destructive are they, and will they penetrate through or close to it reliably? Looking for some real world feedback.
Even the 129/130gr offerings should have enough BC for a solid bullet (like the old Nos AB) to do the job, but is it almost a requirement to run the 142/143gr offerings to get good penetration without messy explosions at these impact velocities?

Thanks for any real world info you can relate.

I have heard good things about the Sierra Game Changer but don't have any on game experience with them yet. They have been fairly consistently accurate for me in testing, just haven't found a "bug hole" load yet

I'll have to wait to see that one in action. Federal itself has released a series of images of a 200gr .308 that looks fairly devastated even at only 2350fps, yet American hunter has a series of images of a 130gr .264 that looks barely opened at 1900fps . . . seems they must have used different test media; and I wonder which one is a better white tail analogue.

But it may not matter to a reloader, going back to at least the trophy bonded tipped, federal's loaded ammo has used bullets like this that I have not seen offered as separate components. . . at least not for many years after introduction.

I have shot over a dozen deer with the 130 gr Nosler Accubond out of my 264 Win mag at 3350 fps from as close as 25 yards clean out to a touch over 500 yards and it reacts the same. Goes in, even through both shoulders, expands and holds together taking out the vitals and exits with a thumb size hole. I have only recovered one bullet shot length wise from front edge of left scapula rearward and was found against the smashed ball joint of the right ham on a big buck. Bullet weight was 87 grs and was a text book mushroom. I have never had a deer do more than stager or spin in a circle before going down for the count. Most have looked like the ground was jerked from under them.

I give some bullets a Tough test at 40 yards in dry newspaper to see which ones come apart . Did it with 30 cal and 7mm and can't get the LRAB to blow up. Have more weight retention than every thing I've tried !! Also did ok at slow velocity .

Attachments

• DACF94BC-760F-4F41-99AF-45EF260E11BD.jpeg
    DACF94BC-760F-4F41-99AF-45EF260E11BD.jpeg
    757.8 KB · Views: 313
LRAB doesn't look too bad, 57% retention @ 2900, should be worth a shot. Disappointed with the ELDXs though, seems the interlock ring could use an upgrade.

I have shot over a dozen deer with the 130 gr Nosler Accubond out of my 264 Win mag at 3350 fps from as close as 25 yards clean out to a touch over 500 yards and it reacts the same. Goes in, even through both shoulders, expands and holds together

I've had those in mind as my backup bullet, if I don't like the results of the higher BC offerings then at least I know the old Nosler AB is a solid performer.

So based on your numbers you are shooting them at point blank range, so less than 200. I shot wolf this spring at 38 yards with a 135 and it was pass through and small exit. 1.5" roughly. 143's do very well for my neighbor who has killed a pile of elk with them. I've shot a ton of wolves with the 147 from 25 yards to 980.

IMHO if you are overly concerned about high velocity issues and bullet fragmentation back off your loads. We all love those high numbers on the chrono but is it needed for close in shots? I don't think so but that just my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.