Looking at the Gunwerks Revic hunter stabilizer tripod and RRS tripod

Tidus56

I need a new tripod and I want it for optics and to shoot off of. I have been looking at the Gunwerks hunter and the really right stuff tripods. I am curious if anyone has used both and have an opinion? I know the price tag is pretty far apart between the Gunwerks and RRS. I am curious if the $$ is worth it for the RRS or if the Gunwerks is plenty good. Any opinions would be useful.

My buddy got the gunwerks to use with his BTX. He said it took some getting used to without the quick adjustable center post, and having to adjust the actual legs. But he said it was crazy stable (mostly due to removing that center post) and really liked it.

I have not seen the Revic, but know a gent with the RRS TVC22i - he notes it is super stable with only 2 section legs. Not suitable for as wide a variety of positions as others, but rock solid platform for coyote hunting, etc.

Last edited:
RRS is legit and worth the money

the gunwerks just looks like a rebranded leofoto/etc etc etc a bunch of them out there

also Two Vets tripods makes some nice options. Ruck, Kit, Recon depending on your budget/weight needs
I have never heard of two vets I will look them up. My budget doesn't really care, I am happy to pay for something if it's worth it if that makes sense.

I use the rrs 24L and it's fantastic. I've been a full-time professional photographer for 14 years and you won't find better than the rrs stuff.

There are lots of decent tripods out there but rrs is made in the USA…enough said.

The other one to look at is pro media gear, made in the USA and very stable, just a touch heavier.

I use the rrs 24L and it's fantastic. I've been a full-time professional photographer for 14 years and you won't find better than the rrs stuff.

There are lots of decent tripods out there but rrs is made in the USA…enough said.

The other one to look at is pro media gear, made in the USA and very stable, just a touch heavier.
RRS is made like 4 miles from my house I just found out, I guess I will stop in and check 'em out.

I need a new tripod and I want it for optics and to shoot off of. I have been looking at the Gunwerks hunter and the really right stuff tripods. I am curious if anyone has used both and have an opinion? I know the price tag is pretty far apart between the Gunwerks and RRS. I am curious if the $$ is worth it for the RRS or if the Gunwerks is plenty good. Any opinions would be useful.
I was in the same position a few months ago, looked at the features and the price point and after much back and forth I decided to go with the RRS Ascend-14. I wanted a lightweight tripod that I could use for both standard photography/glassing as well as shooting off of. The center column was one of the main selling points for me, I understand that it results in less stability but the advantage of being quickly able to adjust far outweighed the negative. The other was the QD arca connection on the RRS vs the thumb screw on the Gunwerks.

The main reason was during my bison hunt the guide carried a bogpod and I ended up missing a shot opportunity as I was unable to see over some tall grass and had no good way to quickly adjust the tripod high enough while crouched. Had I had the RRS I would have easily been able to slide the center column several inches higher and made the shot.

I ended up getting the integrated ball head which I use primarily for the binoculars and camera. When it comes to shooting the integrated head can work but it is definitely less than ideal due to its small size. For example the head needs to be located on the balance point of the rifle otherwise it does not have the strength to hold and will slowly tilt.

Knowing that weakness I also picked up an Anvil 30 that is vastly superior to shoot off. I'm waiting for the platform mount to come back in stock but the Anvil 30 is shaped so that in the mean time a simple bolt and washer can be used to turn the Ascend into a fixed apex tripod.

I was in the same position a few months ago, looked at the features and the price point and after much back and forth I decided to go with the RRS Ascend-14. I wanted a lightweight tripod that I could use for both standard photography/glassing as well as shooting off of. The center column was one of the main selling points for me, I understand that it results in less stability but the advantage of being quickly able to adjust far outweighed the negative. The other was the QD arca connection on the RRS vs the thumb screw on the Gunwerks.

The main reason was during my bison hunt the guide carried a bogpod and I ended up missing a shot opportunity as I was unable to see over some tall grass and had no good way to quickly adjust the tripod high enough while crouched. Had I had the RRS I would have easily been able to slide the center column several inches higher and made the shot.

I ended up getting the integrated ball head which I use primarily for the binoculars and camera. When it comes to shooting the integrated head can work but it is definitely less than ideal due to its small size. For example the head needs to be located on the balance point of the rifle otherwise it does not have the strength to hold and will slowly tilt.

Knowing that weakness I also picked up an Anvil 30 that is vastly superior to shoot off. I'm waiting for the platform mount to come back in stock but the Anvil 30 is shaped so that in the mean time a simple bolt and washer can be used to turn the Ascend into a fixed apex tripod.
So you wouldn't get the integrated head style again you'd get the platform version? Did I understand that correctly?

So you wouldn't get the integrated head style again you'd get the platform version? Did I understand that correctly?
Anvil30 is the best shooting platform imho and works well enough to glass from at matches. i wouldn't take one in the woods for glassing though unless it was mounted on a platform than can pan and even then probably not

If strictly shooting off it then yes however I like the integrated head better for photography and glassing as it is smaller and has the panning feature that the Anvil lacks. Currently the integrated head is on it 95% of the time and I only switch to the Anvil specifically to shoot.