Looking at purchasing a new rifle

Kmccord

I am looking at purchasing a new rifle, I want to get a 6.5 Creedmoor but having a hard time deciding between a Bergara B-14 HMR, Ruger Precision Gen 3, or Browning X-Bolt Max Long Range. I have never handled any of these rifles and am looking for people that has experience with them, how do you like them, how are the triggers, how do they shoot? Thanks for your input.

Both, but mainly banging steel, probably use it on occasion to hunt hogs at night and maybe deer, I have other hunting rifles, but always wanted a 6.5 Creed to shoot in the off-season. I have a 28 Nosler that I don't shoot as much anymore, don't want to wear the barrel out in the off-season. I have read a Creedmoor has about a 2200 shot barrel life.

I have an HMR and really like that gun a lot. It shoots great but plan on getting a trigger

I think, if you don't shoot until the barrel is really hot, you should get more accurate barrel life than 2200 from a 6.5CM in my opinion. I got 2800 rounds of accurate barrel life from my 6.5SLR, mostly pushing a 140 HVLD @ 2820fps. With a few hundred 140 HVLD @ 2940 in there for my hunting loads. Another 100 or so with the barrel going tits up before I rebarreled it.

Man barrel life is very short on this forum...I have a 22 mag with 1,000 of rounds though it and I mean 1,000s--still shoots good to this day...I finally replaced a 25-06 barrel when it was getting erratic...it had to be north of 3,000 rounds as it had some good days on Prairie dog towns in its day...friend of mine and a 22-250...north of 3,000 rounds--it is his main predator rifle--says it is still shoooting good. Another friend with a 308 has close to 4,000 rounds though his "range gun" still holds right at a MOA. When at the Blaser plant in Germany in the mid 2000s there cinema gun was 8x57 R93 at the time. He told me that gun and barrel combo had around 6,000 rounds shot--but it was going to need replaced soon....so I'm with lancekenyon I think you will get north of 3,000 if taken care of easy and probably more like 3500 to 4,000.

I just picked up a b14 ridge special purpose yesterday. Nice little gun. My vote goes to b14 if those options

Man barrel life is very short on this forum...I have a 22 mag with 1,000 of rounds though it and I mean 1,000s--still shoots good to this day...I finally replaced a 25-06 barrel when it was getting erratic...it had to be north of 3,000 rounds as it had some good days on Prairie dog towns in its day...friend of mine and a 22-250...north of 3,000 rounds--it is his main predator rifle--says it is still shoooting good. Another friend with a 308 has close to 4,000 rounds though his "range gun" still holds right at a MOA. When at the Blaser plant in Germany in the mid 2000s there cinema gun was 8x57 R93 at the time. He told me that gun and barrel combo had around 6,000 rounds shot--but it was going to need replaced soon....so I'm with lancekenyon I think you will get north of 3,000 if taken care of easy and probably more like 3500 to 4,000.
. That is good to know, I had only read 2200 was barrel life, I knew it was going to be longer than my 28 Nosler for sure. :)

It all depends on the round, how hot you load it, the powder you use and how the barrel was made! My .308 lasts forever, however I'm on my third 26 Nosler barrel! Using a 129 gr Accubond Long Range at 3,532 fps I'm good for roughly 800 accurate rounds on a Bartlien 5R 28" barrel. I change barrels when I get a consistent group change of 1/4" at 100 yds. I'm sure if I went to the 142 gr and slowed it down to 3,200 fps I could get 1,000 to 1,500 rounds through it but then it would just be another one of my 6.5 Creedmoor's! My 7mm STW 168gr at 3,302 fps is good for 1,200 rounds. My .308 pushing a 168gr at between 2,650 fps and 2,742 fps starts widening at 2,700 rounds! Just examples of what effects barrel life! The only thing I have found real consistency in is the barrel manufacturer! I only use Bartlien match grade 5R now! Have tested about 7 high end brands and found Bartlien much better for high velocity rounds! I've used Mcgowen, Douglas, Stillen, and multiple Proof Research carbon Fiber wrapped barrels, which I found to be the worst for accuracy and longevity although I still have one on my 30-378, but only put about 65 rounds through it this year.

Wow you are a shooting machine....it took me 12 years to shoot out that 25-06...my 257 weatherby has about 675 rounds though it and will probably last another 4-5 years and I'll almost be 50 by that time--and a new barrel their will put me old or in the dirt...I need to quit working so much and shoot more...

I bought a max long range (.300 WM) and it's by far the worst shooting rifle I've ever purchased. Browning seemed pretty non concerned about it too, even though they offered to have me send it back to "take a look". Said I'd be looking at 8-10 weeks minimum and they except 1.5 MOA 3 shot groups out of their rifles. If I remember correctly mine averaged around 4 moa.

I could have had a full custom built with the money I've wasted on this thing getting it to shoot.

The trigger breaks clean but it's so incredibly heavy. So much so that if you have a really good solid rest, you can actually watch the cross hairs move because the stock flexes while pulling the trigger. I replaced the browning spring with a mcarbo and it helped tremendously. The stock itself is very functional (adjustable cheek and length), but pretty flimsy. Also if you plan to rebarrel it, you're pretty much stuck with the factory profile, meaning no thick carbon wrapped barrels. The smith I sent it off too for a rebarrel, said the bedding job was one of the worst he's ever seen. The brake is a radial brake, which by design is terrible for shooting prone. Simple fix here by using the thread protector since 6.5 CM is pretty mild, or use a different style brake. The mag length .(300 win) is generous length 3.600 OAL. The action is very smooth, although mine gets surface rust super fast. Just a quick wipe down takes care of that though.

I am looking at purchasing a new rifle, I want to get a 6.5 Creedmoor but having a hard time deciding between a Bergara B-14 HMR, Ruger Precision Gen 3, or Browning X-Bolt Max Long Range. I have never handled any of these rifles and am looking for people that has experience with them, how do you like them, how are the triggers, how do they shoot? Thanks for your input.

I have had an opportunity to shoot all three and a fourth...being Howa! Howa , Bergara... Tied for 1 st...Browning 2 Nd...I don't like the balance or much else with Ruger...has great accuracy but they are on Gen 3 for a reason...imho...still not there...you can't go wrong with any of them. And oh.. since the first Howa I bought in January...I have purchased 8 more for family and friends in 4 different stock options..

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.