Looking at O/U’s

Caleb85

Always kinda liked the GTR, but don't know much about O/U's. Grew up shooting my uncles old 26" Citori and still to this day I love it. But was maybe wanting something in the 28". Any input? Thanks

Always kinda liked the GTR, but don't know much about O/U's. Grew up shooting my uncles old 26" Citori and still to this day I love it. But was maybe wanting something in the 28". Any input? Thanks

Sorry, what is a "GTR?"

But if you liked the 26" Citori, why not get one in 28"?

28" is my favorite length for a hunting O/U.

I just bought my first over under - lands at the FFL tomorrow. I have been shooting a semi-auto for the last several years, but have always been drawn to the O/U. I can't offer a review or an opinion yet, but I went with the Cynergy Feather. It has 28" barrels.

GTi I'm sorry.

Oh, sure. A great Citori made for only a few years back in the '90's -- had a wide rib on it.

What I should have asked, also, is what you plan to do with this new O/U. I love O/U's for hunting but for target shooting I prefer a semi-auto, in order to reduce recoil.

If almost entirely for upland bird hunting you may want to consider getting one of the very light 12-ga. O/U's, or a 20-ga. O/U. That would even work for ducks over decoys. For geese I would want a 12-ga., in a semi-auto, to shoot those big loads.

If you go with a super-light O/U be advised that they accomplish the weight reduction by replacing the normal steel receiver with an alloy. That means it will bend much easier if subjected to lateral stress. That is the weak link in even steel O/U's, but with alloys it is much worse. You think, "Oh, I'm never going to let that happen" but I've seen it happen when a guy slipped on the ice and landed on his shotgun, also from a big dog stepping on one.

For that reason I favor the steel-receiver 20-ga. for my upland hunting. Light, but tough.

For a target O/U, I would want it very heavy, to soak up recoil.

Last edited:
Oh, sure. A great Citori made for only a few years back in the '90's -- had a wide rib on it.

What I should have asked, also, is what you plan to do with this new O/U. I love O/U's for hunting but for target shooting I prefer a semi-auto, in order to reduce recoil.

If almost entirely for upland bird hunting you may want to consider getting one of the very light 12-ga. O/U's, or a 20-ga. O/U. That would even work for ducks over decoys. For geese I would want a 12-ga., in a semi-auto, to shoot those big loads.

If you go with a super-light O/U be advised that they accomplish the weight reduction by replacing the normal steel receiver with an alloy. That means it will bend much easier if subjected to lateral stress. That is the weak link in even steel O/U's, but with alloys it is much worse. You think, "Oh, I'm never going to let that happen" but I've seen it happen when a guy slipped on the ice and landed on his shotgun, also from a big dog stepping on one.

For that reason I favor the steel-receiver 20-ga. for my upland hunting. Light, but tough.

For a target O/U, I would want it very heavy, to soak up recoil.
I mainly use my A391's and A400's for waterfowl and clays, I have aways just waited a good O/U.

I have a couple of B. Rizzinis handled by Fierce Firearms. 28ga, 20ga, 16ga, and 12ga. Love them because MY DAD's Citori fit me really well and these use the same or similar dimensions.

Citori's are excellent quality for the price paid and Browning has a great reputation for "regulating" their barrels properly. If you like a 26" barrel in a semi-auto or pump, you'll like a 28" to 30" in an O/U. For hunting, i like the 28"; for clays (trap, skeet, sporting clays) i like the momentum of the 30" (helps me w/follow through).

Having written all that, the Beretta O/U's just fit me better. The heart loves the Berettas, the mind loves the Citoris.

I thought so, too. $750 for a Citori in good shape is a nice deal.

The "tubed" gun seemed a little on the high side to me ($2750 opening bid), but then I started reading the description and it made more sense. I have Briley tubes in my Beretta 682 Gold and love the versatility. They aren't cheap though...

Recent Posts