Looking at new presses

At least when loading 338LM on my Co-Ax, you don't tilt the case, you tilt the Bullet to slide it up into the seating collar so you can drop the end of the bullet into the case. The case isn't moved at all. That's with using a Redding competition seater with the collar/bushing that extends out the bottom of the seating die. Collarless or bushingless seaters probably wouldn't require tilting the bullets.
Thanks for the reply. I stated it backwards. I'd prefer to have the room needed not to tilt anything in order to seat the bullet.

I used the press comparison shootout posted on here a lot when press shopping, and it is chock full of good info. I couldn't find a co ax at the time so I went with the summit. I'm now glad I did and wouldn't change a thing, it does exactly what I wanted and has become my go to for all cartridges. RC'er has become a dedicated depriming tool now. All presses are not created equal, choose wisely :)

I would choose what produces the straightest loaded ammo possible myself..........that was what I was looking for and all I needed to change was to the shorter handle they make.

Last edited:
I use RCBS turret press and Redding Ultra Mag press.
I had to alter the turret press to work with the Redding competition dies. The spring loaded collar was interfering and I could not rotate 360 deg. If I were to replace it I would definitely get the Redding T-7. I like having all my dies set up on their own tool heads... just my preference. 20180119_224411.jpg20180117_215601.jpg

I just purchased a new press, I have an old Lyman All American press that is a 4 hole Turret, I was thinking of the Lyman 8 hole and the Redding T7, however since I load most rifle cartridges, I went with the Frankford Arsenal M Press, I wanted a Forster CO-AX, but for several months I could never find them in stock, one location stated mid December for expected delivery.. I was able to find the M Press at Amazon for 189.99 new, everywhere else has it at 249.00, I had 99.00 reward points on my Credit card and pulled the trigger. It supposed to arrive today, cannot wait to see how it works

please Update us once you have tried it. Please let us know what you think of it.

I have a Bonanza co-ax -- the original coaxial predecessor to the Forster co-ax. I bought it used off the internet about 5 years ago, mostly because so many posters on this and other reloading sites were singing the praises of the co-ax design. And judging by the fact new ones are back ordered and used ones keep their value, I guess they're sought after.

I bolted it to the bench next to my RCBS single-stage press, and tried using it for a while. Some things I came to love right away: changing dies involves sliding the old one out and sliding in a new one, and you don't have to change shell holders. I didn't care for the priming system, but that's not important since I use an RCBS bench top priming tool so I get a better feel for the resistance of the primer seating.

My own personal preference, with both the RCBS Rockchucker and the Bonanza ready to go in front of me was that I preferred where the handle was on the RCBS. I had to reach up high to grab the Bonanza handle, while the RCBS handle was right at shoulder level and I was able to deliver full power throughout the stroke. Perhaps I could have changed that by mounting the press on a lower table, but then my knees would not fit under the table.

As it stands now, I am ready to sell or trade the Bonanza, but haven't bothered doing so because shipping would be kinda pricey -- it's heavy.

Just my 2 cents.
I had both presses and couldn't see why I needed two. Sold the co-ax, regretted it after. Bought another one and bolted it beside the rock chucker and won't sell either one now .

please Update us once you have tried it. Please let us know what you think of it.

I was able to try out the new FA M Press after bolting it down on my table. I left it in the cam over configuration, I have a 6.5 Creedmoor I am getting a load ready for deer season and need to start working on a powder charge. After setting up my Redding Full Length sizer I buzzed through 15 cases pretty quick, bumping the shoulder .002 back, I checked the first made the adjustment, checked second, right on, then went through the motions of lube add to press and size, the effort on the press is smooth, the floating die and shell plate aligned the case with no problems, the primer catch is awesome, did not have one on the old Lyman All American. Now for the somewhat bad news, not totally bad, but I have the Forster Ultra Seater Micrometer seating die, the upper portion of the die is wider than the threaded portion on the die. So, with my setup, the bottom of the case will touch the sliding sleeve, but will only raise it very little, cannot get it down further due to the upper die body is wider than the die. However, it did work for my rifle just fine on setting it 2.780 for a COAL, the DBM has a 2.80" length, if I would have purchased the Redding Micro Seater I would not be discussing this problem. I really like the press, changing the dies are all of two seconds to complete, about as long as it takes to move the Turret. I really like the flush mount on the bench, the primer tray is awesome, the action of the press is very smooth, it is a very stout press no movement when sizing, the no shell holder requirement is awesome to change size you need just a quick twist on the shell plate to the correct size you need. With a 189.99 price tag on Amazon with free shipping and I had 99.99 of reward points, I think it is an outstanding buy and it is a CO-AX Press. I forgot to mention, the light is an added bonus for the press, FA knocked it out of the park on this one, my opinion. If you are on the fence with this one, I wouldn't hesitate, especially with the price point versus the Forster, I wanted one of those, but could never catch them in stock.

Attachments

• IMG_20201026_145913163.jpg
    IMG_20201026_145913163.jpg
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20201026_145942863.jpg
    IMG_20201026_145942863.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
Thank you -- I should give that a try before I give up on this press.

What is the length of the short handle?
Here you go, I hope this helps. By the way, I never use the long handle. I load 308, 6.5, 223, and ever now an then 7mm helping a friend out. And we never used the long handle. It's just to out of place on my bench. But if I need it, it's there.
ForesterCoAxshortLonghandleMeasurment.jpg
ForesterCoAxshorthandle.jpg

If I get another single stage it will be an "open front" type: Co-Ax, MEC Marksman, same open front Hornady or RCBS. Love my 'Chucker but not having that "O" frame in the way of everything sure would be nifty...

I have had large presses like the Redding Big Boss II, RCBS Ammomaster and the original Big Boss.
All 3 had throws that just didn't suit me and if the loading bench isn't attached to the wall or floor, the press leverage will have the bench on top of you before you know it...just ask me.
I now have a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme and a RCBS Turret press. I mainly seat comp bullets with the Supreme and do all other chores on the turret, as I have several heads with dies all set up, just change heads when I switch cartridges.
I used to load for a 505 Gibbs, the Rockchucker Supreme handles it with ease.
I, too, am looking at the Rebel as an addition to my set-up, but haven't seen any here yet.
I need a press set-up to handle 1" and 1 1/2" dies.

Cheers.

Does anyone out there have any time behind the Century21 Hydro press. I would also like to know if you are using a custom seating die or a Wilson / Sinclair. Also, did you run into any hidden cost or special tools other than the press and the seating die. My purpose for this set up is seating bullets and sorting completed cartridges by seating pressure.
One last thing and I know I'm asking a lot, But, are you also able to maintain controllable concentricity.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.