Looking at new presses

I liked the idea of a second press and made one portable so I can use it anywhere. With the rock chucker I was able to measure from the top of the press to the top of the ram noting the difference between the two presses. I then removed the insert on the top of the taller press and machined off the difference. Now I can move dies from one to the other press and the settings will be the same.

The co-ax is a great choice. Have a lot of different presses that are single stage and a Ponsness Metallic 2. I use them all now and then but I really love loading on the co-ax. All my 338 Lapua is loaded on that press. The PW press is left set up for 50 Beowulf and the Big Max gets used some times for 300 RUM but by and large I use the co-ax. Just super easy to size big cases. The co-ax has a full 180 degree arm motion for a full stroke. Works best with their lock rings. Snap in and snap out die changes are great. Set it once and forget it. If you haven't tried one you should. I'll never part with mine.

RUM caliber, 338 Lapua - big magnums require a big press. Lee Classic Cast (iron) works great. Also have an RCBS Jr
The single stage I use the most is my Co-Ax.

They all work for their intended use -- it's the primer removal design that sets them apart. Used to have two RC-II, what a mess!
IMO, the primer removal catch on the RCBS RC-II sucks ballz. The Jr is *much* better, but still messy. The Co-Ax is clean, works great, but will occasionally get clogged (very easy to clear, usually with just a pipe cleaner), and the Lee is the best, like a 4" waste drain.
I'll say this about the Lee Classic cast iron 50bmg edition press. My father-in-law is producing very concentric ammo off his press. Very impressive. 6.5CM

Dude, you're a magician, tilting it in like that.
250 Sierra. 3.6915" col. Bullet does have to be tilted into the die. Opps, first picture is a 300 grain Berger ready to seat.

Attachments

• PXL_20201025_004228006.jpg
    PXL_20201025_004228006.jpg
    950.9 KB · Views: 128
  • PXL_20201025_004144898.jpg
    PXL_20201025_004144898.jpg
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I use my Coax exclusively to seat bullets and have Redding Competition Seating Dies for my long range rifles. Minimal bullet runout. Have both a Redding BOSS and Mec Marksman that I use for decapping and resizing. Just got the Mec and I'm very impressed with it. I like the floating shell holder on the Mec and I like the floating die holder on the Coax. I'm not deforming brass any more. I have a Hornady A/P progressive and a Dillion XL 750 that I use for pistol. I like accuracy and rifle powders don't throw consistently in any powder measure that I've ever tried. Sufficient for pistol powders. Buying a new single stage....I sure like my Mec. Oh, the Hornady A/P is pretty finicky. The index plate needs to be checked constantly to verify that if fully indexed. Just getting started with the Dillion XL750, it seems pretty good. The Hornady A/P will probably end up on EBAY.

Thanks for all the replies this post got me thinking a bit more. I just got back into reloading after about a 12 year break. I mentioned loading for 30-338 Lapua. I also have a 300 Tomahawk which I haven't loaded for in years. The idea of tilting cases etc. to get these longer rounds loaded for is not something I'd be happy about. Every time I think about the Co-Ax that thought enters my mind. I'd really love to see one in action loading for one of those rounds.

Thanks for all the replies this post got me thinking a bit more. I just got back into reloading after about a 12 year break. I mentioned loading for 30-338 Lapua. I also have a 300 Tomahawk which I haven't loaded for in years. The idea of tilting cases etc. to get these longer rounds loaded for is not something I'd be happy about. Every time I think about the Co-Ax that thought enters my mind. I'd really love to see one in action loading for one of those rounds.
At least when loading 338LM on my Co-Ax, you don't tilt the case, you tilt the Bullet to slide it up into the seating collar so you can drop the end of the bullet into the case. The case isn't moved at all. That's with using a Redding competition seater with the collar/bushing that extends out the bottom of the seating die. Collarless or bushingless seaters probably wouldn't require tilting the bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.