looking at for a updated hunting rifle

220yotekiller

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a new hunting rifle. Looking at a few, Sauer 100, Sako A7 Roughtech, and the Tikka T3. All chambered in 7mm Rem. Mag. I would like to hunt out to 500 yards. The Sako is out in front at the moment, I think the stiffer stock would be better. I am not a fan of the Sauer's and Tikka's 24" barrels for extended range hunting.
Another questian is at that range, does the bc matter at that range? OR should I look at a better bullet to extend the range a bit?

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a new hunting rifle. Looking at a few, Sauer 100, Sako A7 Roughtech, and the Tikka T3. All chambered in 7mm Rem. Mag. I would like to hunt out to 500 yards. The Sako is out in front at the moment, I think the stiffer stock would be better. I am not a fan of the Sauer's and Tikka's 24" barrels for extended range hunting.
Another questian is at that range, does the bc matter at that range? OR should I look at a better bullet to extend the range a bit?
BC always matters to a degree but at 500 yards it's more a matter of having good dope, dialing up proper corrections and basic marksmanship.

I've never been bitten by the Tikka bug but I have really enjoyed shooting some Sauer and Sako rifles over the years. I killed my first deer with a Sako Deluxe in .243 somewhere around 1970-72. It belonged to my dad's best friend and pretty well ruined me for life. I haven't been able to give up hunting since.

Not that long ago I would have suggest the Sauer but their 100, 101 and 404 have all been manufactured with what I call short for caliber barrels. A 24" barrel in a 7mm Rem Mag
will reduce velocity by roughly 70 FPS. For that reason the Sako may be your best bet.

I can't speak on the rifles, I have Remingtons, Rugers, and Savages. But I'll throw in my thoughts on bc out to 500 yds. It will make a difference, if you shoot in much wind (which most of us deal with wind in some sort or another). I'll give you a visual to get an idea. It is a 180 Berger VLD@2950 fps vs a Barnes 140 TTSX @3150 fps, which would be pretty close to the velocity difference between the two in a given rifle. The charts below are out to your 500 yds. This will be a drop chart and a 10mph wind drift chart.

Screenshot_20180815-014200.png

As you can see, the difference in point blank range is minimal, 10-15 yds difference between the two. Also, the 180 overtakes the 140 in velocity at well under 300 yds.

Screenshot_20180815-014258.png

The wind drift is also significant, with the lighter, faster, lower bc bullet drifting over 50% more than the slower heavier high bc bullet @500. I will also add, that at 500 yds the 180 has 2,371 ft. lbs. of energy, vs. the 140's 1,633 ft. lbs. So while you may only be shooting max 500 yds, bc still has a significant impact. My suggestion is compare a few bullets on a ballistic table, and decide what you think is acceptable for your needs.

The ONLY benefit that I personally see in the lighter bullet is less recoil. Which, if you want that....don't buy a magnum. A .260 or 6.5 creed will fill that void. Just my thoughts.

morning, all explanations r very good. I wood throw in
Colt, old Winchesters, or build ur own to what u want.
as far as caliber and cartridge? 260AI, 300WM.
justme gbot tum

Hunting to 500, 260 in the Sako or something in a 6.5x284 if wanting a little more energy would be my choice.

For what it is worth, I harvested a Montana bull elk at 931 yards with my SAKO M995 in .300 Win Mag 24" barrel with 190 Berger VLD at 3043 FPS.

From your list of choices, I too would pick the SAKO A7. Tikkas have a pretty good following and after market support. Someday, I'd like to add a Sauer in my inventory.

Good luck!

If your planning a hunting gun your first thought should be about a bullet used to ethically kill an animal. BC is secondary to that. Like others have posted once you practice with it you will know your DOPE and can dial or hold accordingly.

As far as bullets go I was thinking thinking about the Accubond Long range. The A7 has a 1 in 9.5 twist so that should be able to stablize ether the 150 or 168 grain weights.

Also I'm no where near tied to any of these rifles. Should I save up and buy a C
Christensen Mesa or Browning Hells Canyon?

I've got a Sako A7 in 7mm Rem Mag and it's a tack driver.
It'll shoot anything good, but I haven't tried any bullets below 150gr.
It really likes the Accubond Long Range 168gr bullets.

Go for the sako a7. I have one, it's a great rifle. Using 165class 7mm bullets will be more than sufficient for your needs I would think

Almost every factory offering will get you out to 500 yards accurately, especially if you can reload. Find the rifle that feels best in your budget range and buy it. Then do load workup and you'll be happy. Features, brand name and guarantees are what drive certain brands prices up. Just my 2 pennies.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.