Looking at buying a Bergara Ridge or HMR Opinions needed

Rifle choice

• Total voters

MontanaOutdoorsman406

I am looking at buying a Bergara 300 WM for hunting deer and elk in Montana. I can't decided between these two models the Ridge is a 24" barrel heavy contour with a standard spotter style stock with pillar bedding and weighs 8.1 pounds. The HMR is a 26" barrel heavy contour with more of a long range style stock with a full bedding block but also weighs almost 10 pounds and I'm thinking it might be on the heavy side for hunting thank you for the input.

I have the HMR in 6.5 creedmore. Most accurate gun I own. With scope and bipod it weighs a little more than 11 lbs. I enjoy shooting it. I do not enjoy packing it. It is to heavy for the way I like to hunt. I know others who pack heavier guns than this. Lol they are tougher than me. I do not want a hunting rifle over 9 lbs. I use the HMR for practice and hunt with a light weight 300. You wouldn't think 2 lbs would make that much of a difference, to me it does.

I also have the HMR in 6.5. Outstanding rifle!!! I took my Desert Muley last fall at 450m with 143 ELD-X. Destroyed the vitals, very little meat damage. Is a tad heavy for a packing gun but im in good shape and it didn't bother me to much.

I saw a video a couple weeks back where the guy was shooting one of the upper-end Bergara rifles suppressed, and after a few rounds the firing pin would gum up with carbon and wouldn't hit the primer hard enough, and would require the bolt to be broken down and cleaned.

Not saying don't buy one, just letting you know what I saw.

I am looking at buying a Bergara 300 WM for hunting deer and elk in Montana. I can't decided between these two models the Ridge is a 24" barrel heavy contour with a standard spotter style stock with pillar bedding and weighs 8.1 pounds. The HMR is a 26" barrel heavy contour with more of a long range style stock with a full bedding block but also weighs almost 10 pounds and I'm thinking it might be on the heavy side for hunting thank you for the input.

This boils down to your personal preference. I've held them both and they both feel good but between the two, weight is not and issue to me and I'd go with the HMR.

I think hunting with a rifle much less than 12lbs beyond 600y becomes difficult. The extra couple of lbs will be nice to have if long range is on the menu.

I drew a muley tag in the Missions this year. Can't think of a more rugged place to hunt. I will not be carrying my 13lb 338 for this one. I am setting up a 6 Creed and will limit shots to 500y.

Steve

I saw a video a couple weeks back where the guy was shooting one of the upper-end Bergara rifles suppressed, and after a few rounds the firing pin would gum up with carbon and wouldn't hit the primer hard enough, and would require the bolt to be broken down and cleaned.

Not saying don't buy one, just letting you know what I saw.
Are you shore that is the factory firing pin, or one that was an aftermarket pin. I have about 200 rounds though mine and have not had one hiccup yet, I've fired mine dirty, clean, in 20 digree weather, and in 90 digree weather, and it runs just fine.

Are you shore that is the factory firing pin, or one that was an aftermarket pin. I have about 200 rounds though mine and have not had one hiccup yet, I've fired mine dirty, clean, in 20 digree weather, and in 90 digree weather, and it runs just fine.
The dude said it was a factory rifle, and that it was one of their upper-end models. I can't remember what model he said, but it was in a black chassis with a heavy barrel in .308 Win, and he was running it suppressed, and it ran good for about 20 rounds, then it started light-strikes and wouldn't fire. The guy said that it happens often after several rounds when he's shooting suppressed, and that it was just carbon building in the bolt on the inside face where the FP strikes the bolt and stops. Then he said that it just needed a good cleaning, and that this happens alot, and that other than that, he liked the rifle.

I have been looking for a good 300 win for western hunting and also have been looking at the Bergara Ridge. Problem is... I can't seem to find one. Anybody know where I can pick one up?

Just looked at our supplier and they are backorderable. If you can't find one let me know and I can place an order for one and have it shipped to your ffl.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.