looking 257 wby data an help

thats a killing machine ain't it???

I'll always have a 7 mag around..

but now 257wby is the way to fly in my book..my other choice was to go back to my 30-378 accumark.

I never shot anything with it except a poor old rabbit at about 50 yards, wasn't to much left of him! It was going to be my LR deer rifle, but I was so stupid and traded my friend for his 7 stw that did not group worth a hoot. I always liked the 257 weatherby and always wanted one, but wanting and getting are 2 totally different things. I cant afford a weatherby, and brass is pretty expensive, but other then the added 200fps over my 25-06, I'm very happy with my 25-06. I"m on my 2nd one now and it has killed very well for me out to 600 yards with the 115g btip, and they have both been pretty accurate for a factory ruger and winchester. I would really like to get a speedy 257, like a 257 stw, 25-300 wm, 25-300 wsm, or even a 257 AM. For as much as I like to shoot and practice with my rifles though, I couldn't afford to replace barrels.

Well i have had this rifle for 25 years an I plan on having it forever so I wanted to give her a face lift.So "MGM" is going to do the work for me as they do all my work.
http://www.matchgrademachine.com/
I could have rebarreled to any cartridge with the 7mm bolt face but the choice was clear.

A friend of mine shoots factory wby ammo out of his an he gave me 100pcs of once fired brass so I'm set. I got 1lb or 4831sc,1lb RL22 an 1 1/2lbs of RL 15 so let the load testing begin...

Of the powders you listed I would try IMR-7828. It is the ultimate 257 and 300 Wby powder. I would also give the Ram Shot Magnum a try in the 257. A 26" 257 will run 100 grain TSX'at 3700+ with the 7828. The RL-22 could show promise but I have never seen RL-15 in a 257Wby. I'm currently testing the Accubonds in my 257 with the Ram Shot Magnum powder.

I will be testing the 125 grain rbbt wildcat's this weekend, out of my stw. I have been playing with the 100 bt,110 accubond, 130 bonded wildcat, will see how the 100 and 125 wildcats will do. The 130's with Retumbo is one hell of a rig. Will try with the retumbo and ramshot magnum this weekend. You might want to try magnum out of a weatherby.

well I already have reloader 22,h4831sc,an 1 1/5lbs of RL15...you think any of these will work?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would definately try the RL-22 with those 100 grainer. Being a custom chamber I don't know if you have the 'freebore' incorporated or a match chamber. There is a difference in the max charges.

remington 25 06
I did not have good results with the 100XLC in my 25-06 either & I tried the regular X in several rifles & only 1
gun shot them well. However, the TSX are the opposite in my experience, they shoot great in almost every rifle I try them in. Like you said, for the longer range applications, the Accubond & some others of course have better BC & may
open a little better as well. In some guns though like my 30-06AI that I hunt with in the woods but I could get uip to a 500 yard shot, I like to use them. Barnes is currently changing the BC ratings & have done so for several of the TSX bullets & I hear they will be done soon.

I know that you are fully aware of the 25-06AI, but you could give it a look. My thoughts are about like yours in regards to changing barrels & I have a couple of other rounds for volume shooting. I don't know which Rem you have & the barrel length, but I feel I got my money's worth with my Sendero that Kirby converted for me. As you said, you are looking at 200FPS diff. between the 25-06 & the 257Wea.
It appears that I am more than halfway between, about 50-75
FPS shy of the Wea factory rounds & with the 120NP, right there. 257Wea. reloads with the same pressure as mine would pull away a little, but I am very close. And after Kirby's handiwork it will shoot between 1/4"-3/8" with the 125Wildcat at 3,250FPS. I know I have mentioned this before,
maybe too much, but I am dang excited about this rifle & it takes care of all my 25-06 needs!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.