Looked through some scopes today

Savageman25

I spent the whole day looking through scopes. I loved it and I hated it. I loved looking through them but I hated that it really didn't help me decide exactly what I want.
First scope I am buying is for a ar 6.5 creedmoor. This gun is going to be for mostly target shooting. I couldn't decide if I wanted to get a vortex viper pst ebr-2c 6-24 or Zeiss hd5 5-25 rapid z 8 (or z1000). I love Zeiss glass, But I would like ffp (the big deal). I love that the Zeiss has great glass, but I like that vortex is mrad. I love that Zeiss has great glass, but I like that vortex is illuminated (although I don't think this really is a factor). The truth is I will probably buy both of these scopes sometime. But right now I need to decide which one first. Anyone have experience with these scopes? I will probably move one of these scopes to a hunting rifle sometime because I really want bushnell tactical elite 3.5-21 but don't wanna pay for it right now. It would be great if Zeiss glass didn't just wow me when I looked through it. So my question really comes down to am I gonna regret buying a vortex and shooting out to long distances when I could have had a better sharper image?

Because my experience has been different (I find the Vortex glass to be sharper than my Zeiss) I'd say that, if you like the Zeiss better - for any reason - then buy the Zeiss. The Vortex scopes I've tried have good glass and I like them overall better than my Zeiss. Only thing I've found with the Vortex is the stiffness of the focus knob which, IMO, requires a spanner wrench to adjust. But they do make a lever attachment to help in turning it; which costs about fifty bucks.

I really like everything that the vortex comes equipped with at a very solid price. I am not sure if I would be completely happy buying the zeiss at the price it's at without the options that i am honestly wanting. The other issue I have is that I kinda want the bushnell elite Tac 3.5x21 after reading a lot about it but I dont wanna drop the cash for a scope I never have looked through. That thing is hard to find, I've looked. It'd be great if the zeiss diavari wasn't the price it was, then I'd be set.

What is the price range? I have a SS 5-20 x50 . 10 mil per rev. the power ring is stiff, i put throw lever on that,but the glass is great. I bought it used as new for $1ooo. I think image is clearer or I would say brighter than my mark 4 that was double money.Its very close to my March 3-24x52

I would like to stop at 1000 but of course I would go higher if I could take a look through the bushnell and if like it enough.

I have the Zeiss Hd5 5x25 & I love it. I also have a Vortex Viper HS 6X24. The viper has great glass & I like it but where the Zeiss really steps away is @ lowlight. Then its no comparison. I'm currently struggling on scopes as well. I'm torn between another hd5 a leupold vx6 or nightforce shv. Ffp is nice but if those were my only two options I'd get the Zeiss.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.