Look what the post office did to my package!!

while you have a complaint, i have shipped usps for over 12 years for my prior company.
shipping LEAD and brass
you must pack SOLID. no room for movement. a box of bullets bouncing around on the inside will tear your box apart.
wrapped in tape.
heavy box ? strapping tape
never lost a lead shipment, nor a brass shipment.
post office hated me.
70 lb limit flat rate $15, i would ship 60lb s,
sometimes 4 or 5 boxes on the same day.
brass 2500 pc of 45 acp in a large flat rate box , once sent 10 boxes to the same guy on one day.

Bingo!

I've been in the shipping industry for 15 years and that is the best advice you'll ever get in regards to shipping. Internal movement is what destroys packages more than anything. Items like bullets and brass shift and settle during shipment so even if it was packed tight when you taped it up, it won't be after a ride in the back of a truck.

Before you ever hand a package over to ANY carrier, ask yourself if you'd be comfortable dropping it onto a concrete floor from at least 60" off the ground. If the answer is no, repack it. The most successful shippers I deal with understand that spending money on a quality pack job is a lot cheaper than eating the cost of damaged/lost product resulting from improper packaging.

Edit to add: It's worth pointing out that the package obviously got wet as well. Just something else to account for when packaging items.

450A98CF-4B94-4B60-A9CE-DCC0095BDADE.gif

Guys, I appreciate what you're saying about packing, but this thing is DESTROYED. It didn't just pop open.

Imagine taking your box of brass and bullets, then sending it down a slide with a larger/heavier box behind it and in front of it. Packages don't move on flat conveyors and they're rarely handled by an actual person. Conveyor belts are very unforgiving.

I had FedEx break a 1-ton brake rotor that was being shipped to me... Ask me how the hell that happens? I still don't know. Made them pay to replace it.

It comes back to the whole getting dropped onto a concrete floor from 60" thing. Parts like rotors are brittle and can crack/break when they hit the ground. And it's not because anyone is deliberately trying to damage them, stuff just falls or gets dropped by accident somtimes.

First of all, why should anyone have to pay for insurance???
You pay them to ship it. They should be responsible from there.
If that was the case, I can see providing proof of value.

If I pay for $1000 in insurance, it shouldn't matter if it was worth $10 or a million dollars. They should pay the $1000.

And the USPS wonder why they are loosing business.

First of all, why should anyone have to pay for insurance???
You pay them to ship it. They should be responsible from there.
If that was the case, I can see providing proof of value.

If I pay for $1000 in insurance, it shouldn't matter if it was worth $10 or a million dollars. They should pay the $1000.

And the USPS wonder why they are loosing business.

If shipping companies didn't charge a premium for insurance or a declared value (not the same as insurance) they'd just have to charge more across the board for standard shipping. Why should everyone else pay more to offset the expenses incurred by paying out freight claims on improperly packed items? Insurance on a $5,000 item shipped through USPS will cost less than 2% of the value of the item. That seems like a pretty reasonable price to pay if the item really has that much value to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.