Look for some guidance on load development

I'm brand spanking new to reloading as my disclaimer.

I picked up a complete reloading kit and Weatherby 300 WM for $600. I've been saving my brass in the advent of this day coming. I'm looking at cutting my teeth on my .308 rifle.

I have a Cabela's Varmint special chopped/recrowned to 20", trigger job, greyboe stock, dbm, a 20 moa rail and a diamond back tactical scope. Its also getting bedded as I type this. A 1:12 twist too.

I've shot it quite a bit < 300 yards. Pretty happy with the accuracy after multiple factory ammo tests. I bought about 10 boxes over the past two years. Varying price points, brands and weights. It seems to shoot the heavier stuff a little better - 180 gr ironically. I have been shooting Federal Powershocks in 180 and the PPU variants.

I have two reloading manuals that my kit. I want to start at 180's or 168's. I plan on punching holes until I head out west next year for antelope / mule deer.

With that said some questions:

- does anyone make like a caliber sample kit for bullets?
- is there more forgiving brands/bullet design for a first time reloader?
- any powders to look into based on where I want to be weight wise?

If you're getting good accuracy with 180's with the 1-12" twist you must be at the top end of bullet weight. I like accubonds for hunting and shooting paper myself, the 165 would be my choice but they make 180's as well. Bonded for any angle shot and pretty sturdy construction. I don't care for the long range accubonds for several reasons. You can also access the online nosler reloading site with powder recommendations and load weights, good info. Good Shooting and stay safe. Dave

With that said some questions:

(1) does anyone make like a caliber sample kit for bullets?
(2) is there more forgiving brands/bullet design for a first time reloader?
(3) any powders to look into based on where I want to be weight wise?

(1) Yes, try >>> https://www.samplebullets.com/ or
https://www.submoashooting.com/bullets/ or
https://idealload.com/shop-bullet-sample-packs/ or
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/dept/reloading/sample-packs/rifle.
There are more if you do your research.

(2) There are bullet designs like the Berger VLDs that are depth sensitive but don't let that discourage you as it is part of the learning curve.

(3) Your reloading manuals are an excellent and safe baseline.

My best advice is to take time and enjoy the learning process. Safe, proficiency, and consistency in reloading do not happen overnight. Good luck!

Last edited:
If you want to practice with the same ammo you can hunt with, my suggestion is to get some Nosler 150gr Ballistic Tip bullets and some Hodgdon Varget powder.

When you start loading for the 300 Weatherby, you will need different components.

I ordered:

2 - 5 round sample packs of 180 gr accubond
2 - 5 rounds sample packs of 180 gr GMX
2 - 5 round sample packs of 170 gr Accubond
2 - 5 round sample packs of 165 gr Accubond
2 - 5 round sample packs of 165 gr GMX

My go to gun shop a town or two over is holding a 1lb if Varget and some 210m primers for me.

I've doing some ready on Hodgdon's website and some sticky threads on ladder testing. Once I can get my rifle back from bedding I'll make sure it's zero'd with the Federal's I have.

I'm going to do my ladder testing at 100y. I'm going load up 5 in 1 gr increments to max for each bullet weight/brand. I'll post some pictures of it all.

I've cleaned a bunch of brass for it. What's the best brass to use - all once fired. Here's the choices:

- PMC
-Hornady
- Federal
- PPU

I had a 1-12" 30stw that wouldn't shoot anything I put in it better than 1 moa. My friend told me to try 155vld and 4831 (he built the rifle). Shot lights out. Still own that one.

edit: I should read my post before saving...

Last edited:
I ordered:

2 - 5 round sample packs of 180 gr accubond
2 - 5 rounds sample packs of 180 gr GMX
2 - 5 round sample packs of 170 gr Accubond
2 - 5 round sample packs of 165 gr Accubond
2 - 5 round sample packs of 165 gr GMX

My go to gun shop a town or two over is holding a 1lb if Varget and some 210m primers for me.

I've doing some ready on Hodgdon's website and some sticky threads on ladder testing. Once I can get my rifle back from bedding I'll make sure it's zero'd with the Federal's I have.

I'm going to do my ladder testing at 100y. I'm going load up 5 in 1 gr increments to max for each bullet weight/brand. I'll post some pictures of it all.

I've cleaned a bunch of brass for it. What's the best brass to use - all once fired. Here's the choices:

- PMC
-Hornady
- Federal
- PPU

Ladder test at 100y won't serve you well, start at 300 yards minimum. Your second ladder test will be 400, third ladder test at 500, etc. That's the issue with a ladder test. Takes too much time and you need access to lots of distance.

Look at doing an OCW test at 100 yards then confirm your results at distance.

Those sample packs are great, but you need more of them.

I find OCW the best. It takes 25 bullets per round.

Using the manual, you can usually hit a best load in 4 rounds...First vary full charge weight range, then vary seating depth, then fine tune charge at best oal(1/2 charge increment), then confirm 5 groups of 5 to see variation in group size and velocity. That will tell you how close you are best possible with that combination.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts