Look at these 2 bullets. Which one do you think has the higher BC?

At least it acts like a hybrid. The few classics I have loaded didn't have issues with the distance to rifling just like those beautiful hybrid target versions.

Secant Ogives, if memory serves, perform better at hypersonic velocity and Tangent/ Hybrid ogives with the more pronounced curvature do better at Transonic/ subsonic velocities. The longer boat tail of the Hunter takes back some of the bearing length. Do we want to start a discussion on Hypersonic Laminar Boundary Flow? Probably not.

I would guess that up close the VLD is higher and way out there the Hunter is better. And in the middle they are probably a wash. Of course to test that would require an extensive range session and some capital expenditures on components....

Honey!!! I'm headed to the range tomorrow! Be there all day...........

KB

I assume that the answer has already been posted but I went right to the end to post. The bullet on the left would "appear" to be the highest so I assume it isn't:D It all depends on what you can't see! The jacket and core material and thickness, etc. i.e. if one was a copper mono "which it isn't" it would be much different......Rich

I was just investigating 130gr .270 vld vs classic hybrid. The vld=.452. Hybrid=.479.

BUT the performance of vld in 3 other calibers has been so good I kind of hate to chance risking DRT kills for slightly better BC.

I just find it interesting the the 7mm Berger 168 vld versus classic hunters show similar designs as the 30 cal yet with the 7mm, the vld is advertised as being higher.
Always look at the boat tail first. The base drag makes up 50-60% of overall drag at supersonic velcities.
The 7mm 168gr VLD has a pretty long boat tail of .77 cal at a good angle of 8.4°.
Except for the angle, the hybrid couldn't do better and the difference between 7° and 8.4° is not that big, looking at McCoy's tables.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.