Look at these 2 bullets. Which one do you think has the higher BC?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Michael Eichele, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

This is not a trick question. Just look at the picture and tell me what you think. They both weigh the same and are both the same caliber.

Attached Files:

2. Jud96

Jud96 Well-Known Member

Left one. Looks longer and looks to have a longer ogive.

3. AZShooter

AZShooter Well-Known Member

And the answer IS? I am betting the one on the right just because it looks LESS likely to have the higher BC. Come on Michael tell us what bullets you are showing and their respective BCs.

Speaking of bullets that fool you. The .243 cal 55 gr nosler varmint ballistic tips have a higher BC than the .224 cal 55 gr nosler varmint ballistic tips!

224 55 gr .267
    243 55 gr .276

4. Varberger757

Varberger757 Well-Known Member

The left one because of its shape.

5. Beng

Beng Well-Known Member

Hard to say, the right one seems to have an longer boat tail of a more efficient angle. Got to take some measurements. I took a few very crude measurements, .1 cal difference in boat tail length, about 3° difference in boat tail angle. The right projectile is definitely not inefficient, I can't judge the impact of the difference in nose design though.
    I'd say they are either similar in their respective drag numbers, or the right one has a lower Cd.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  6. mtmuley

mtmuley Well-Known Member

Same BC? mtmuley

7. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

The one on the left has a shorter bearing surface and longer nose and longer overall. The tail appears to be slightly shorter but hard to say. Definitely the one on the left.

8. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I WOULD say the one on the left because of its VLD shape, however, the bullet on the right appears to have a hybrid ogive, a longer boat tail, and a longer bearing surface... I'll take the road less traveled and go with the bullet on the right.

Or, this could be a trick question and they both have identical BC's... :D

9. stater61

stater61 Active Member

I strangely find myself having to agree with Mudrunner. The vld on the left looks better, but I believe the one on the right is a hybrid which we know has a better BC.

JH

10. ramrod79

ramrod79 Well-Known Member

They have the same BC.

11. jfseaman

jfseaman Well-Known Member

I'm with MudRunner2005 on this.

Try to make this a poll.

12. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

Since this is a guessing game, I'm guessing the one on the left is .631 and the one on the right is .626.

13. MMERSS

MMERSS Well-Known Member

The one on the right traveling at 3100 fps will have a higher BC than the one on the left traveling at 1800 fps. :D Sitting on a shelf form factor from shape appears to favor the left. :D So I say both.

14. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

Well it has me perplexed. I would think by looking at them AND knowing they're the same caliber and weight that the left one would be more slippery. That said they're both .30 caliber and both 168 grains and both Berger bullets. The left is the VLD and the right is the classic hunter. Neither are hybrid.

Now the confusing part. The VLD is advertised at .473 G1 and the classic hunter is advertised at .496 G1.

I guess I have a lot to learn about bullet design and BC.