Longrangish Hammer bullet shots

That's why I stated out to 500 yards because even the Nosler Partition works great performance wise and accuracy wise at that range in cartridges I use. Beyond that, they lose steam fast. Look forward to trying out the Hammers and PVAs
I used NP for many years before I transitioned to NBTs and NABs when I started LRH.

I like the test. Nicely done.

Since I am our hardest (legitimate) critic, I am going to pick apart the bullet performance a bit. I want to say that I am about to be very nit picky and I am in no way saying that that bullet did not perform well. I am going to say that we have seen a bit better performance from some other batches of raw material. That caught bullet shows just a tad more brittleness than we would like to see in a perfect world. Our goal that we are always striving for would have that retained shank with a bit flatter front that doesn't show where the petals came off. Flat and cylindrical without the rough edges. That is what we want to see. This bullet came very close to the perfect. We just did a low vel test with the newer current batch of copper and it was just a bit better than what you see in this test. As with any manufacturing the only part that we don not have full control over is the raw material. We do have our supplier catering to our needs for the make up of our alloy to a much tighter window than what is considered good enough to be considered proper makeup for the alloy. In fact they hold the tolerance so tight that there is no way to nail down what is diff from one batch to the next. If we did not have the effort from our supplier, there would be times that we would get a batch of copper that would not have deformed at all in this test. We found this out the hard way back when we 1st started and got the same alloy from a diff supplier and it would not work at anything remotely close to low vel. We still have a couple thousand pounds of that copper waiting to be used for target bullets.

Thanks again for posting your test.

Thanks for the analysis Steve. I tend to forget about the variances in alloy. Your analysis and perspective just add to the product credibility. I am looking forward to some field tests of my own, pretty soon.

Here is a pic that I just got from a customer today. 257 wby with 9.25" twist running the 103g Hammer Hunter. Recovered from a blacktail deer at 561y with an impact vel about 2200 fps. Not quite as slow but this bullet is exactly what we want to see regardless of impact vel.

Attachments

• 25103HH 257 wby recovered1.jpg
    25103HH 257 wby recovered1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 140
  • 25103HH 257 wby recovered2.jpg
    25103HH 257 wby recovered2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 150
Here is a pic that I just got from a customer today. 257 wby with 9.25" twist running the 103g Hammer Hunter. Recovered from a blacktail deer at 561y with an impact vel about 2200 fps. Not quite as slow but this bullet is exactly what we want to see regardless of impact vel.
That's Beautiful

Very impressive!

Good to know. My bullet out of the 7 MAX is going right around 2200 fps at that range as well with the 169 gr Hammer Hunter. I feel perfectly comfortable of taking a 800 yard shot after seeing the results that I saw on the pigs. The petals were making dime sized wound channels and the shank was making half dollar size wound channel. I don't believe any elk or deer is going to be surviving that. I dont even mind if I hit them in the shoulder at that distance seeing as how it even tore through the pigs shoulder bone as well after it went through the shield.

I like the test. Nicely done.

Since I am our hardest (legitimate) critic, I am going to pick apart the bullet performance a bit. I want to say that I am about to be very nit picky and I am in no way saying that that bullet did not perform well. I am going to say that we have seen a bit better performance from some other batches of raw material. That caught bullet shows just a tad more brittleness than we would like to see in a perfect world. Our goal that we are always striving for would have that retained shank with a bit flatter front that doesn't show where the petals came off. Flat and cylindrical without the rough edges. That is what we want to see. This bullet came very close to the perfect. We just did a low vel test with the newer current batch of copper and it was just a bit better than what you see in this test. As with any manufacturing the only part that we don not have full control over is the raw material. We do have our supplier catering to our needs for the make up of our alloy to a much tighter window than what is considered good enough to be considered proper makeup for the alloy. In fact they hold the tolerance so tight that there is no way to nail down what is diff from one batch to the next. If we did not have the effort from our supplier, there would be times that we would get a batch of copper that would not have deformed at all in this test. We found this out the hard way back when we 1st started and got the same alloy from a diff supplier and it would not work at anything remotely close to low vel. We still have a couple thousand pounds of that copper waiting to be used for target bullets.

Thanks again for posting your test.
Steve: Finally!! I was about to ask when you were going to chime in. Thanks!

Are you going to offer those "factory second" (made with the inferior alloy) target bullets for a reduced price? l would love to have some for working up loads. That way you could get that batch off your hands.