Longrangish Hammer bullet shots

Korhil78

I don't believe anyone has done this before so I decided to test it out since I have the ability to do so . I have access to shoot some wild pigs off of pivot fields. Problem is that it's super hard to range a black pig on flat ground at longer ranges. So we just decided to cut the pigs off and shoot two of them in the head with pistols and then stage them on a berm and shoot them in the shoulder at 800 yards with the 169 Gr Hammer Hunter out of a 7mm Sherman MAX. The 169 Gr Hammer Hunter is being pushed out of the muzzle at 3125 FPS. The bullet was traveling at approximately 1880 fps when it struck each pig. Their was one large boar and one sow. The boars shields were 1 1/2" thick on each side. The sow was not as big but still a very stout and thick animal.

The boar was shot first and the bullet entered into his shoulder, opened completely. 2 petals exited the offside shoulder which I found very impressive. The petals each made dime sized wound channels through the pig and the shank made about a half dollar or larger sized wound channel. The damage was considerable even at this range. The petals went through 3" of shield and the whole broadside body of the boar and exited. Impressive. The results were the exact same on each pig.

Exit holes for the two petals.

A8D467C0-BA84-4459-8D2B-055BE8F894CC.jpeg

Wound channel of the petals:
44DC606A-C86B-498A-8B5B-EE4763A8C51A.jpeg

Wound channel of the shank:
E0320372-C0EA-448D-B125-9C1AFF298606.jpeg

View of entire shoulder:
8ED558C3-292F-4701-8ACD-AFA795E031B3.jpeg

Shank and petals found:
117C0FCF-0589-4FEE-A472-E0F258CB52EA.jpeg

Final verdict:

Although the BC is a complaint by many, I had no problems turning my dial a few extra clicks. The bullets performed flawlessly on each pig with both the petals and the shanks making large wound channels that would impress most if not all. These are legitimate bullets out to 800 yards in my rifle. I would have no issue at all shooting these bullets at an elk at that distance.

Last edited:
I don't believe anyone has done this before so I decided to test it out since I have the ability to do so . I have access to shoot some wild pigs off of pivot fields. Problem is that it's super hard to range a black pig on flat ground at longer ranges. So we just decided to cut the pigs off and shoot two of them in the head with pistols and then stage them on a berm and shoot them in the shoulder at 800 yards with the 169 Gr Hammer Hunter out of a 7mm Sherman MAX. The 169 Gr Hammer Hunter is being pushed out of the muzzle at 3125 FPS. The bullet was traveling at approximately 1880 fps when it struck each pig. Their was one large boar and one sow. The boars shields were 1 1/2" thick on each side. The sow was not as big but still a very stout and thick animal.

The boar was shot first and the bullet entered into his shoulder, opened completely. 2 petals exited the offside shoulder which I found very impressive. The petals each made dime sized wound channels through the pig and the shank made about a half dollar or larger sized wound channel. The damage was considerable even at this range. The petals went through 3" of shield and the whole broadside body of the boar and exited. Impressive. The results were the exact same on each pig.

Exit holes for the two petals.

View attachment 299943

Wound channel of the petals:
View attachment 299944

Wound channel of the shank:
View attachment 299945

View of entire shoulder:
View attachment 299946

Shank and petals found:
View attachment 299947

Final verdict:

Although the BC is a complaint by many, I had no problems turning my dial a few extra clicks. The bullets performed flawlessly on each pig with both the petals and the shanks making large wound channels that would impress most if not all. These are legitimate bullets out to 800 yards in my rifle. I would have no issue at all shooting these bullets at an elk at that distance.
Awesome work, Thank You for the time and effort

Accuracy (800 yards spot on) + Terminal Performance (full penetration on a boar shoulder shield) = "Hammered"!

First to hear it dialed up and delivered documented terminal performance gives ALL of us confidence.

It takes effort to do what you did plus shared the details is indicator how much you care about hunting, shooting and sharing with your brothers and sisters on LRH. Well done! Thank you!

Recent Posts