Longrangish Hammer bullet shots

Steve: Finally!! I was about to ask when you were going to chime in. Thanks!

Are you going to offer those "factory second" (made with the inferior alloy) target bullets for a reduced price? l would love to have some for working up loads. That way you could get that batch off your hands.
I would not call them an inferior alloy. They work very well. Better than any other copper we have ever tried. That lot of copper is gone and we are most of the way through the next lot of copper after it. Another lot of copper is arriving next week. When I said I was nit picking that is exactly what I was doing. There will always be some variation from lot to lot of raw material. It is physically impossible to make it identical each time. The diff lots of raw copper are so close to identical that there is no way to pin point what makes one lot act diff on impacts than the next. We have our source of copper producing to our specs as close as is possible and every lot works very well for the intended purpose. We strive for perfect! So if I ever show a dissatisfaction it is because it is not perfect. I only know of one man that was perfect and the rest of us just try to be.

Sometimes I kick myself for being too open about my thoughts. I in no way intended or meant that we had a bad batch of bullets. Far from it. They were very good, we always want better. I have some loaded for this season and will not be changing them out.

I would not call them an inferior alloy. They work very well. Better than any other copper we have ever tried. That lot of copper is gone and we are most of the way through the next lot of copper after it. Another lot of copper is arriving next week. When I said I was nit picking that is exactly what I was doing. There will always be some variation from lot to lot of raw material. It is physically impossible to make it identical each time. The diff lots of raw copper are so close to identical that there is no way to pin point what makes one lot act diff on impacts than the next. We have our source of copper producing to our specs as close as is possible and every lot works very well for the intended purpose. We strive for perfect! So if I ever show a dissatisfaction it is because it is not perfect. I only know of one man that was perfect and the rest of us just try to be.

Sometimes I kick myself for being too open about my thoughts. I in no way intended or meant that we had a bad batch of bullets. Far from it. They were very good, we always want better. I have some loaded for this season and will not be changing them out.
You're the man!

Good to know. My bullet out of the 7 MAX is going right around 2200 fps at that range as well with the 169 gr Hammer Hunter. I feel perfectly comfortable of taking a 800 yard shot after seeing the results that I saw on the pigs. The petals were making dime sized wound channels and the shank was making half dollar size wound channel. I don't believe any elk or deer is going to be surviving that. I dont even mind if I hit them in the shoulder at that distance seeing as how it even tore through the pigs shoulder bone as well after it went through the shield.
Did you try a shot on one of the hogs behind the shoulder, to see how it would react with a low velocity impact on thinner softer tissue?

I shot my 3rd animal of the season this morning, two doe antelope and a mule deer buck, all with 30 cal 199 grn Hammer Hunters. Each was a chest shot. All 3 ran a short distance and piled up. Each bullet made a small exit hole in each animal. I'm concerned about losing an animal with a marginal shot since its evident most of the energy is going out the other side with the bullet. I shot my buck antelope with a 30 cal 180 Accubond. That thing had a large exit wound and was dead before it fell over. Just an observation, but a concern as I've been using 180 grn Accubonds for almost 20 years. They always leave a large exit wound and most animals I've shot just fall over. I will say the Hammer's are extremely accurate. Just to be safe, when I go elk hunting later this month, I'm taking my 338 Edge with 300 grn Bergers...

I shot my 3rd animal of the season this morning, two doe antelope and a mule deer buck, all with 30 cal 199 grn Hammer Hunters. Each was a chest shot. All 3 ran a short distance and piled up. Each bullet made a small exit hole in each animal. I'm concerned about losing an animal with a marginal shot since its evident most of the energy is going out the other side with the bullet. I shot my buck antelope with a 30 cal 180 Accubond. That thing had a large exit wound and was dead before it fell over. Just an observation, but a concern as I've been using 180 grn Accubonds for almost 20 years. They always leave a large exit wound and most animals I've shot just fall over. I will say the Hammer's are extremely accurate. Just to be safe, when I go elk hunting later this month, I'm taking my 338 Edge with 300 grn Bergers...

How far were the shots and how was the inside organ damage? On my doe last year with the 123gr AH I had a small entrance and exit hole but the hit was middle lung and it about split the lungs in half with one fragment going so far as to hit the heart.

F057A419-13C3-4167-A035-99CF6389A558.jpeg
8D7E300C-0F23-4714-BE3D-B785C32067F5.jpeg

Larger exit, 360 yds. Smaller exit, 579 yds. My deer exit was the same size as the larger one at 711 yds...

Nothing to worry about, let her eat, They did exactly what they were designed to do, and you went backwards on your bullet selection, if you were shooting 180's you should have went to the 166's or 152's,What 30 cal are you shooting ?

Last edited:
Going to 152's in a 300 RUM would make no sense. They're accurate bullets, but I'm wanting more than hole punchers. Others are more than welcome to shoot them. However, they're not for me...

I'll be trying the 124HH bullets in my 30 Nosler but it's really just for fun at this point. I took my elk with the 181HH and the rapid demise of that big guy was impressive. Like Triple B, I'm also a long time Accubond shooter but I like to experiment with everything.
I think I'll bring my 6.5PRC whitetail hunting this year and will be using the Berger 156EOL for the first time. They really shoot well.

Going to 152's in a 300 RUM would make no sense. They're accurate bullets, but I'm wanting more than hole punchers. Others are more than welcome to shoot them. However, they're not for me...
No Sir It makes perfect sense, As I said your looking at it backwards if you'll research it a bit you will see why, 3 shots and three dead critters is 100% success rate if my math is correct but shoot whatever you like Neighbor thats what makes the world go around

With a better constructed bullet more impact velocity equals more wound channel I always pick a lighter bullet when using a mono

It is soooo hard to leave standard reloading and terminal concepts at door. It took me a while and I look back at how many bullets, powder, primers and brass life I WASTED until I threw out my previous concepts to max out the Hammers. Once 💡clicked on, I started to "see" their potential. This resulted in my .270TH build just for the 156HH. And it paid off with superb accuracy and now I need to test out on bull 2nd season CO!