Longrange Savage 10ML shot

coupalr

I just shot a white tail doe at a range finder confirmed 523 yards with a savage smokeless muzzleloader. I purchased a doe tag that is only good in the muzzleloader zone a few weeks back and with rifle season opening next Monday I figured I should fill the tag before then since I will not have time once rifle season opens. Well we spent 2 hours tonight looking for something to shoot at. Everything we saw was either to small or to far, so my friends thought. So with the light fading I spotted one way out there and I said to them that I was going to shoot it. They both said yeh right. I grabbed the range finder and ranged her at 523. I was use to shooting the ML out to 450 on my range so I set my scope to the 85 moa that I use at 450 and then aimed what I estimated to be 5 ft over her shoulder. I squeezed the trigger and the 300gr hornady sst roar across the field for what seem to be forever. Then the doe squated and the tell tale smackkkk can sounding back. I hit her she turned to head back to the bluff north of her but she stumbled and fell. We then ran to within 100 yards and finished her off. It was incredible. The 300 gr bullet entered about 6inchs below her shoulder joint breaking her right front leg and sending bone shards into her lung. This was more than I ever hoped for. It will be a great story for years to come. Who would ever imagine this was possible with a muzzleloader.

Congradulations on the one shot one kill and at that range. I would boast about it also. I have made some very long shots with mine not quite that long but respectiful. They are the finest ML'ers made shame they stopped production. But one thing savage did was open the door to smokeless ML'ing. With all the great minds here and trial and error came up with all kinds of conversions, so even if the Savages all dry up there is still the conversions. I too got bit by the conversion bug. I bought an extra Savage right before they announced they will not be making anymore. I am converting it too 45 Cal. I will keep the savage take off barrel as at some time I will be able to use it on another build in time. Lou

Congrats on your sucess.
You however out of my league.
I have spent countless hours doing load work with my Savage ML and have very good accuracy out to 300yards with the 300gr Barnes original bullet. But, a 500yards plus shot with a ML is way beyond my talent or rig. Congrats.

That is amazing!

What is equally amazing is the fact that it only took you guys 5 years to post a response! :D:D:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.