Longest shot?

big hunter

I'm kinda wondering what the longest successful shot you have ever made on any animal was. My longest shot was a 200 yard deer that I shot through the neck with the second shot. I was using a Remington 700 in 7x57, loaded with 140 grain BTs. The first shot, heaven only knows why I tried it offhand, with the scope on 3x..... The second shot, I sat down on my bucket, and steadied myself. Aimed for the head, with the scope still on 3x. And that time, the deer went down in quite a hurry. I suspect that the neck hit is due to variations in power settings on my scope. Sometime I should check that out. As far as my aiming for the head, I am hunting for meat and instant put downs. If you don't agree with me, then we agree to disagree. Moving on...
What is the longest successful shot you have ever made, and what equipment were you using? Thanks.

Not too impressive numbers-wise, but I have watched my father shoot reindeer at about 350 metres. That, however, was with a 30 year old, factory barreled .30-06 sighted at 100 metres, and without a range finder or exact knowledge of bullet drop. Simply experience I guess.

This past season I killed a whitetail doe at a laser-measured 412 yards. I used my 300 Win Mag and a handloaded 165 grain SST. The deer never took a step but fell in her tracks. This longrange shooting is addictive!

I've taken a few coyotes in the 400-450 range. I've been trying to break the five hundred yard mark for the last month or two. So far I've just been scaring them off.

This morning I took a shot at a Jack rabbit at a little over two hundred paces. First shot on a clean barrel missed, and he ran about 20' and stopped again. Next shot took out the shoulders.

The best long range shoot I'v made so far involves a prairie dog @ 725 yards.Heres the fun part it was hit with a 40g vmax out of a Ruger 223.When buddys called it luck I put anouther round into corpse.Have gotten them farther with other rounds but that 223 & 40g vmax still amazes me with its capabilities as long as the wind is still=CJ

Took a coyote last year at 535 yards and two PDs this year at 684 yds. going to try the 1000 yd. PD this year. Can't wait!
grin.gif

Very Near miss on a crow today at 940 yds--He better not be there tomorrow!
mad.gif

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

longest kill with the first shot 1480yds
ground hog - 6.5 Dakota 140gr Berger VLD
longest kill for a deer 640yds - 300win mag 200gr MK

longest two witnessed shots--
pdog-Savage 110FP 223 - 740yds-8 shots
pdog-825yds 788, Shilen #7 in 243AI 1-8" twist, 44.5gr RL22, 105Amax, third shot.

The longest one I can remember at the moment was a mule deer near Alder Montana at 1300 yards. I am not a super long range hunter, however I shoot long targets frequently, so this was not ordinary for me. The deer jumped straight up on the first shot and did a couple of hops. He stood there a few seconds then fell over. He was double lunged. He was a good one. Most of my shots on game are in the 400-800 yard range and I don't call that serious long range hunting. Anyone who does a lot of long range shooting knows the difference is daylight and dark between say 750 yards and 1000-1300 yards. The load on that shot was 84 grains H4831, 168 grain match bullet from a 300 wby mag. It happenned over 25 years ago but I remember the load well because I still use it sometimes. It always seemed to be accurate.

Not as impressive by comparison, but varmit-wise, with my .22 I drilled a crow at a recorded 156yds. That was with Aguila .22 30 grain pills @1650fps. The shot was offhand, sing twisted as tight as I could get her, and luck and God were both on my side.

Not as impressive by comparison, but varmit-wise, with my .22 I drilled a crow at a recorded 156yds. That was with Aguila .22 30 grain pills @1650fps. The shot was offhand, sing twisted as tight as I could get her, and luck and God were both on my side. This was with good 'ol kentucky windage and guesstimation of range.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.