Longest shot

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to all of you over here who did understand and gave positive feedback on my behalf. I appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very welcome. It was a small thing to do in return for all of your advice. I paid my membership dues to Wiliampsort again this year. Maybe if Clay Spencer get my gun done before antelope season I will make it up this year.

Hey D.C.

Glad to see your post here , I always enjoy your sharing stories of your experiences/shots .

Reckon you should hang out here more often , not trying to take you away from anywhere else cuz you got plenty to share everywhere .

I haven't smoked in years but I was wondering , is there enough time to light a smoke before the bullet gets there ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

C'mon on back now , Jim B.

Hello Jimm

If you can light up and smoke it in 2.78692 Seconds then give it a try /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That's how long it takes that 300 gr to get to 2100 yards.

Ernie

You fellows get up by Glenwood/Carbondale area in elk season???

I think you and Steve are down by Pueblo if I'm not mistaken?
Your doing things with Handguns that most people wouldn't believe. Keep up the good work. One of these days I may get a chance to see you boys in action?

Later
Darryl

Well then , I would have another ? before the sound of the whack made it back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gives a whole new meaning to " smoke em if you've gottem " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh yeah ! the " team " thing , very important to me as I can't get back in even at a thou as I shoot real light ( read nonexistent ) hold .

Jim B.

Steve lives in Pueblo and I live in Hutchinson, KS.
We hunt elk and deer in SW Colorado between Bayfield and Pagosa Springs.
The feeling is mutual about getting together. You have been at it a lot longer than we have and I know we could learn from you.
My newest XP will be a 7mm Dakota center-grip that I hope to have running before May. This is being built with a 2k PD in mind, one mile shooting and of course LR deer and elk.
Kirby is putting it together for me. It is a 1-7 twist Lilja barrel that will be set-up to handle from the 170-200 class bullets. Barrel length will be just smidget under 18 inches. This is the biggest cartridge for me in a specialty handgun. I have shot a 338 Lapua Improved rear grip handgun (shooting molly 300 SMK's), but it is to heavy to haul around in the mountains like Steve and I hunt.
If you have a good smith, use quality materials, build your ammo correctly, combined with a good rest system and optics you can accomplish a whole lot if you are persistent not afraid to fail.

Hi Ernie my 338 lapua imp hand cannon is a little on the heavy side to carry around in the mountains at 18 pounds. We are getting 2460 fps with a 300g SMK and 92g of H1000 out of the 10t 18" barrel. I have shot this hand gun out to 1 mile.

Eric,
Thanks for the info on the weight and MV.
It sure was fun shooting it, even though it was limited by time.
You were planning on building another SP, at one time.
Folks on the SP forum have just recently asked about your handgun project.
Are you in the process or is it on hold?

My longest shot on a big game animal is short by comparison to the distances mentioned in this thread.
Just because I have not seen it or accomplished it myself, does not mean I have ever doubted it.

Darryl knows his stuff about long range and the equipment it takes. Thank you for all your help in the past.

Ernie
I know you have been shooting your handgun at varmints way out there with good results keep it up we should hook up and see what we could do on some rock chucks or Pdogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The 30 nawakwa handgun is on hold right now I ended up using the barrel for a 1k rifle and chambered it for the 30 nawakwa I am planning on getting another barrel for the handgun the barrel I was going to use was 1.250 and I think I am going to go with a 1.450 18". I would like to use a rifle scope on it so I need the extra weight. I was thinking about keeping it under 15 pounds to be more portable for hunting. I have been carrying a 19 pound rifle in Colorado the last 2 years with most of our hunting is around 10,000 feet + or - 1000 feet. We also use a 100 pound bench rifle.

Steve and I plan to go for just a tad over 2k in the next two years. This year, though Steve and I are going deer and elk hunting. I didn't get to go last year, so I'm going to apply for a cow and a buck.
I'm real excited about the 7mm Dakota. Hopefully, I will approach 7WSM rifle performance. Time will tell.
Main thing for me is the accuracy with the right bullet, while hoping it is running at the upper end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.