Longest shot with a revolver?

Bowhunter57

I recently purchased a Ruger Super Redhawk, in .44 Mag. and will be hunting deer with it this fall. I've owned 44s and 357s before, but the longest kill shot was on a groundhog at 35 yards. I'm hoping to improve my "long range" shooting abilities, before the season opens, in late November.

What was your longest game kill shot with a revolver?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

147 yards, Ruger 44-40

DSC01507Small.jpg

A great many years ago (jeez... almost 50), I killed a duck about 100 yards (paces) away with a single shot from my S & W Mod 17 K22 revolver. No, should have never taken the shot, but I won a $20.00 bet. Have never attempted doing it again. I also killed a jackrabbit with a single shot from a Colt Anaconda in .45 LC about 20 years ago, at the same distance... 100 paces.

About 60yds at javalena near Douglas AZ with S&W 686 in .357,smithed by Frank Glenn. Scope was 2x leupold. I was guided by Frank's cousin, Warner Glenn of Malpai Ranch. I envy guys who do 100yds + with iron sight. I believe them, but it's gonna have trajectory like water from garden hose(rainbow?).

Got this guy a couple years ago in S MN with the Ruger SRH in 454 Casull @ 125 yards.

cjy.jpg

Have droped a lot of rounds on a prairie dog mound between 5-600 yards but as yet this is the longest kill=154 yards. It was however not on the first shot, they is stupid and stood there for a couple:D

Casual%20017.jpg

Read Elmer Keith's "Sixguns". He was making shots of several hundred yards with open sighted revolvers.

Practice is everything!
I'm not that good and for big game I would keep my shots at bowhunting distance (I shoot a recurve, so don't take 90yd shots).
But, if all is perfect and the planets aligned I would take a longer shot with open sights.
With my scoped guns, well, I would shoot a little farther.
Have fun with yours and post pictures of your kills!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.