Longest Handgun Kill

Doesn't compete with you guys, but 244 yards on a small white tail doe with an Encore in .416 - 06 JDJ with a 400 grain Hawk RT at 2000 fps. I have the 3x - 12x Burris with ballistic plex. My shot was lying on my back with the scope on 3x and the gun resting on the outside of my right calf. I plan to stretch it out when the opportunity arises. It will shoot a little under 4" at 400 yards with the best loads I've come up with.

Nice shooting. Isn't a 400 grain bullet at 2,000 fps in a handgun pretty serious recoil? :)

I do not consider myself a long range hunter, but enjoy this forum. My longest handgun kill is 410yds on a coyote with my 243 H-S Varmint pistol . I was calling over a small frozen lake when a coyote came out on the opposite side about 500yds across and started to come along the edge towards me. I was watching the coyote thru my scope then for some reason it decided to turn back but stopped by an old beaver hut that I knew was 400yds away. I didn't plan on shooting but the pistol was steady on the bipod and the scope was on 12x. So I made use of the B-Plex and took the shot. I don't have a picture of that coyote but last winter I got a double by that same old beaver hut .This time I was sitting only 150yds away.http://
P2170594.jpg

Last edited:
JLK,
When it comes to LR with SP's I would say that it begins somewhere between 300-350 yards. Not only is it more difficult to shoot SP's typically but you are also handicapped in terms of lower velocity with the shorter barrels.

P-Dog with the 17 AH

Sorry, but no pics of the dead P-Dog. The shot was 289 yds lasered with the Leica 1200. The barrel was a 12" Bullberry, topped with a Burris 3-12. The load was 9.4 gr of Lil Gun and a 20 gr VMax. Velocity with that load is 3200 fps. Here's a pic of the pistola. It has been in action with that barrel since late '91.

tc_17ah_p.jpg

The location was eastern WY, about 15 miles from the SD border.

let's see, longest animal taken, have to say from this spot at our farm in KY I have taken several does and bucks. the tree line to front and to the left is 490+ yds, straight out is 385 yds and to the right is in the 420-460 yd range. nice to sit and have your evening coffee and wait for the "big one "to walk out. when it rains it all fits into a camo blind. so far from this spot only mid sized bucks and large does. 300 WSM is in the picture
nmhunter

DSCN0118.jpg

So Tom, how far is your longest one?

416 lasered, last season , big doe, just above the first cedar to the left of the HS. she walked out of the woods and was feeding along the edge of the treeline. really cool had my son spotting for me, at the shot i lost view of her due to the recoil of the 300, I asked him if she ran back to the woods and he grinned and said she dropped on the spot. Will post some more pics at the end of next week, we have a new farm to hunt and it looks like a 500 - 600 yd shot may be possible. just got back from first weekend of the season in KY and wll be going back on Wed to hunt thru Thanksgiving, hopefully will have some more pics to post. ( gotta get a couple of "new" scopes"
nmhunter

The season starts Saturday and it looks like I will be hunter closer to home. The daughter is coming home and going hunting.

Antelope & whitetail w/pistol

This is a great site. Good shooting all of you.
I got the antelope in Wyoming two years back. It was at 225yds with XP100R in 260 with 2x7 Burris Ballistic Plex. Shooting a 120grn Speer Hotcore bullet.
Shot was from a small ridge about 50' above the location of the antelope. Prone, used range finder and shot from a rest on my back pack. Down right there. This all took place just after visiting with Ernie and Steve on the internet and them running the info I needed for the B Plex lines in my scope after I gave them my bullet and velocity info. They got me hooked. I took a doe antelope two days later with my Encore in 6.5 Rem Mag with a 3x9 burris pistol scope. It was lazered at 415 yds. Can't find my photo of it in either photo hosting site. I will have to do some searching for it.
589Handgun_Antelope-sml_photo.JPG

The whitetail is one I took this last weekend after hunting several days over a pipe line right of way for a long shot. The deer never showed where I was wanting a shot so I took this one that came in behind me. This one was 205yds with my 338JDJ#2 and a 180grn Ballistic tip.
Doe338JDJ212-2-07-1.jpg

We still have two separate weeks of antlerless hunting with firearms before the end of the year. I will try once again on the right of way with my new to me XP100 7-08 using a Burris 3x12 BPlex scope. I need to do a little more range time to get my drops for this 140grn Ballistic tip. I'm still learning. Need to do more studying on dialing clicks and getting my drop charts finished.
Mike

Mike,
Good to see you posting.
Sounds like you are continuing the process of getting more comfortable in stretching it out. Sounds like you will be rechambering or rebarreling soon:D

I don't how to post pictures so there won't be any. The longest shot I have ever made was a 340 yard kill on an antelope about 6 years ago. I used a contender in 6.5 JDJ with a 17.5 inch barrel, used a 120 gr Sierra SPT bullet with 38.0 GRS of IMR 4350 and a Federal primer. I have killed a few groundhogs at 300 yards but the antelope is the longest shot I made at a game animal.

Last edited:
I just started doing some deer hunting with a T/C Contender last year. I bought it from a widow woman after the death of her husband. It came with three barrels. One is a wildcat. A 225 Winchester necked to 6mm the barrel is 14 inches long. I also got the dies for this one in the deal. I did not even have any idea where to start my loading for this caliber. I just started low with some 6BR load information because the case capacity seems close. I had limited time to work with it before deer hunting season last year. I came up with an accurate load of 30 grs Varget and the 80 gr. Sierra SSP bullet 2650 fps. I had put a Weaver 2.5-8X28 scope on it and sighted in with a 200 yard zero. One day I was hunting in a stand on a log road that was between grown up cut-overs. I had the Contender set up on a shooting rail on a sand bag pointing down the road on my right and my rifle pointing down the road to my left. You can only see 107 yards to the right and 120 yards to the left. A 6 point buck came across the road at only 50 yards to my right and with a shoulder shot that 6mm-225 dropped him right on his nose.
This year I tried out the 357 Mag. barrel. I used another Weaver 2.5-8X28 scope on this 10 inch barrel. I worked up a very accurate load consisting of a 180 gr Hornady XTP and 13.5 grs H-110. I sighted in for a 100 yard zero and only hunted with it in the afore mentioned stand. I had a big doe come into the road at 104 yards slightly quartering toward me. I put the cross hair on her shoulder and squeezed one off. I saw her squat down hard and run with her head almost on the ground into the cut-over on the other side of the road. I heard her crash. She ran about 50 yards. The bullet entered exactly where I had the cross hairs on her shoulder and went through her chest and angled on through her gut and when I skinned her out I found the bullet just at the beginning of her off side back hip. It was a text book mushroom. These are not long range shots compared to most of you but they are my only deer kills with a pistol. I did kill a fox this year with the 357 mag Contender at 51 yards. I shot him through the eye where I aimed.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts