Longest Coyote Kill

Three sundays ago went out on a fourwheeler ride. Spotted one across the canyon looking for mice. Ranged him at 552 and starting to walk away. Setup the Sendero 7STW dialed it in and then held a little high for the extra yardage he had gained and touched off. Dropped in his tracks and never even twitched, my buddie was sure impressed (not as much as me but I kept that to myself).:D

Well I just got my 300 win shooting and went coyote hunting 2 weeks ago to see what this Huskema topped savage could do. I Killed 4 out of the 5 coyotes seen' the longest was 663 and the closest was 35 yards The one miss was at 954 and I just did'nt hold enough wind. I cant wait for september and the back country deer and elk season. I will be hunting in both Washington and Montana:D

Last edited:
Nice shooting, you guys! Sounds like you're dialed with that new Savage. The Huskemaw system is obviously working for you!

Pics guys--we need 'em--

Here's my longest @ 906 Leica 1200, 6.5-284 XP-100, 3-12x Burris LER/Ballistic Plex reticle and turrets, soft-sided stadium seat sitting using tall Harris bipod, pistol grip between the knees--

906-ydcoyote.jpg

He now resides here--

IMG_0700.jpg

Here's 1 @ 785--buddy's Nesika Bay 270 WSM/140 Ball. Tip/8.5-25x VX-III. Mom was with me--she likes to spot for game. We'd just come out to verify a ballistics profile for the load on rocks, but decided to check out the basin below us just in case. Howled this dog up at about 500+. He started skirting our position to get down wind, and ran into a herd of antelope that put chase to him. He got out to about 700 or so and was loping along stopping here and there to check us out. He finally stoped quatering me at lased 785. Checked the drop chart real quick and ran something like 17-18 MOA in. Reacquired the dog and was trying to get mom on him thru her binocs the whole time unsuccessfully. Prone off Harris BR pod, and shot. Big gun came right back down with him still in the FOV and i watched him tip over. It was great--

img001.jpg

That's what I'm talkin' about! Nice shooting! SSC: I'd say a 900 yard handgun coyote deserves Trophy status. My son has a "Trophy" rockchuck mounted that he took at 1044 yards. I like it.

That is cool TT-always nice to see the pics. Had to walk a long ways to get that coyote to a point where i could skin him--but i had to do it.

674yds ... with a 6.5x47 Lapua. The coyote was sitting facing me. It you look closely you can see the little red spot in the center of his chest where the 140gr Berger went in. The red spot on his back where it came out was considerably larger:D If it looks like it is cold out, that's because it was -14
ATTACH]2296[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Duane Hunting.jpg
    Duane Hunting.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 83
Hard to imagine minus 14 right now but it even looks cold! Nice shootin'. How'd you get your range--pre-/post-shot?

First time a ranged him he was at 678. Got set up and he started moving from right to left. Stopped him with the call and ranged him again at 674, dialed and shot . No wind whatsoever, thank God , since it was so cold. It was late afternoon and overcast, and CRF1200 worked flawlessly, even with the snow. I have since upgraded to the CRF1600 for my new 338NM. First one had problems, but Leica had the new one back in 2 weeks and it is working great.

No range finder at the time, it was 15 yrs ago. But it was 513 paces. Coyote was sitting on a rock rim looking at me. My drop was 24.7 inches low at 500yds. I did not think I would hit him because I did not know how far he was. I aimed right between his eyes and pulled the trigger. I hit him right at his family jewels and broke his back. Blood everywhere in the snow. I had to put another round in him at 15 feet to end his suffering.. Rem VSSF 22-250 55gr NBT
I plan on killing coyotes at 700 yds plus this year with my 6.5x284 this year. But I would rather kill them at 5ft.:D
TT35 I will be over in your neck of the woods in Oct thru Feb for coyote hunting.

Last season, SSCOYOTE and I were hunting together and we had already had a successful hunt, and shot one coyote within 200. We went looking for another stand, and heard some howls in the distance. We ran to where we could look down into a canyon bottom and spotted them. There was a big male standing in a patch of snow and Steve lasered him with the BRF's at 785. I was already proned out and had my iPod already up and running with the ballistics program. I ran the yardage and made the elevation correction. I told Steve I was going to shoot, but just before I did, I felt the slightest wind on the left side of my face. I made a hasty decision to hold the crosshairs onto the coyote's nose.

The shot broke and I was able to see the impact through the Leupold perched atop the AR 10. The 87 VMAX hit just behind his shoulder and he spun once and flopped over dead. The rest of the pack was sent running off into the pinon/junipers. Steve was ecstatic. I was upset because I didn't get to shoot the movers, scattering off.

The rifle is an AR10T 24" .243 WIN 10 twist. I shoot the 87 grain VMAX at 3200 fps with H4350. I use the Varmint hunter's Reticle in the 6.5-20 VXIII for 650 and less. The firing position was on the canyon rim, about the middle of the frame, in between two clumps of trees. Just like big game hunting, the work begins after the shot. Carrying a big coyote uphill for just shy of a half mile is some work indeed. A labor of love. I think Steve still has some fleas from that one though.
100_0953.jpg

100_0943.jpg

2010 coyote 005.jpgHi,

I shot this coyote at 711 yards from my front yard. He had laid down in bean stubble facing me . I ranged him, doped the leupold scope and sent a 210 SMK to greet him. The bullet hit him square in the chest exiting between the shoulders. The rifle is a factory Savage Model 12 in 300 WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts