Longest coyote kill. Gun and what state u live in.

Big lazy male feeding on a cattle carcass at about 560 yds. AR chambered in ARP six5 (6.8spc necked down to 6.5) 100 gr A-max at about 2800fps. North Central Nebraska sandhills.

In Vt in an area that is now all mega mansions near woodstock 540yds 243 75 vmax hollowpoint at 3640. Pretty silver female. As far as bigger dogs I shot one that was the biggest track of the group that ate my deer in 03. It needed a small wolf form for the head. It weighed over 70#. There is a mounted female at the Reading/Tyson road general store that was 72# taken off of Ascutney Mt. Mine was about 1.5 miles south of Ascutney off of the center road. Most likely they were related.

My Longest was 340 yards with a 55 gr Hornady TAP 223 out of a Howa Hogue 20" varmint rifle with a vortex PST 4-16 x 50 from my vineyard in Ontario, Canada. I also shot one walking away from me at 260 yards in the back of the head with the exit almost between the eyes with the same gun using federal 55 gr TRU.

Longest about 380 yards on a dead run. 6mm Rem with Hornadys 75gr HP.
Shortest 3 feet walked up on him while Pheasant hunting. Both bagged in Iowa.

Last edited:
830 yds, me and a buddy missed him at 278 ish the sob barked at us ran off the unlucky sob stopped right where I had ranged some deer he started barking again he died with a 180 Berger hybrid to the head out of my 7mm LRM at 3095 fps. I missed him at 278 because I had not dialed back down after shooting at 1000 that morning I actually shot at him twice when he was at 278 before I figured it out LOL ... I don't know how my buddy missed
Duane

Creedmore shooter: May I ask what powder you're using with those 53 V-Maxes? I recently got the same rifle, and have it shooting cloverleafs with those bullets and Benchmark, but fps is at 3600; suspect it is a light load, but do like the (relatively) mild report and accuracy. (Loading info with 53 VM/.22-250 is scarce, so one has to "freelance" a bit.)

Toby: My farthest coyote kill is only about 200 yards. Not a bunch of them in this immediate area, but enough to have killed off most of the groundhogs that I prefer to hunt. Here, one has to take the coyote shot that's available, whether it's 50 or 500 yards. I prefer the .204 Ruger, but I suspect efficient killing range much over that 200 yds. is pushing it on our big Ohio 'yotes. As I suffer effects from a severe shoulder injury and now can barely tolerate the recoil from even my .243s, therefore the .22-250 now (and maybe a fast-twist Swift down the road).

Look into getting yourself a threaded barrel and slapping a GOOD brake or compensator on your rifles. Built a .260 for my dad who is somewhat recoil sensitive. Dropped it down to about that of a .22 mag. This was with the tank brake from JP.

I would like to see a pic of your seat set up if possible. Thx! And congrats!
Sorry Kimberyote, just saw this. It's very simple actually. All you need to do is sew the female end of the side strap snap closer to the seat itself. This tightens the seat way better than factory, and allows for much better back support. Just look at it you'll see what I mean. Also attach another snap at the end of the side straps for hands-free carry...another necessity. I'll never go afield again without this system. Another less important thing I do is slip the entire seat in a burlap bag, and sew it up since it helps camouflage it better in prairie country IMO.

567y, ruger american predator 6.5 creedmoor, 4-16 pst, factory hornady 120gr amax, on the ranch in vina ca. We have a very large bowl that we hunt and get a large volume of coyotes out of every year. Hard sneak to make being open ground and down hill from every direction but if we can get to the knoll undetected it's a great hunt

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.