Longer range rifle

shortshooter

My ship finally came in and I am able to afford a true long range rifle. I've really gotten to the limits of my current rifles and am ready to take the next step to longer ranges than the 800-1200 I usually shoot.

I've looked at PGW Timberwolf and like that style of rifle, but what else is there? What is available for taking shots at really long ranges, and I'm not talking just about hunting, but plate shooting as well?

Ideally I want a unit that can have strike capability out to 2,300-2,500 yds. Money is a concern, but I am willing to pay for what I want and it would also be nice to have something left-hand friendly.

338 cal is alrigtht, but won't barrels last a bit longer with 375 and 40 cal diameters? I want an absolute monster horse power unit that will hurt AR500 and put the hurt on elk.

Please help with this.

You need to look at Kirby Allen's 338 Allen Mag. It is based of the 408 Cheytec case, necked down to 338 and Improved. I think it's getting around 3450 to 3500fps with the 300grn Sierra Match King. That will get you out to your 2500 yard range.

Give Kirby a call, he will do you up right. He builds awesome long range rifles.

P44

Yes, I've actually watched one of these in action. What I am wondering is if it's better to go with a larger diameter projectile for barrel longevity. Maybe something like the 375 Allen would be the ticket.

Best thing about the 338 bore is bullet availablity. Might be the way to go, but I open to all bore diameters.

That's very much what I am in the mood for. That's the type of package.

Also I'm close to Shawn Carlock's town, so I'll check with him as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.