Long wait for the spring bear hunt.......

Catahoula

Hey Guys,
Going to rebarrel a rifle for spring bear hunting. My 25-06AI is totally shot out. Going to put a 27 inch Lilja on it. The last barrel shot at 257 Weatherby velocities. The 110 Accubond is a very lethal bullet in this cartridge.
What do all you guys shoot bears with? My last 2 bears were shot with a 300 Win Mag.
Kirk

My last bear was shot with a 6.5x47 Lapua. I've shot other bears with 6.5-06AI, 6mmx284, and a 44 magnum pistol. All the rifles I've shot bears with were stuffed with JLK Vld's.

One of the great things about bears is they can be encountered so many ways. This means we get to have a firearm from, inside the tent (44 special) to at range in the alpine berry fields (338 RUM), hounds (Ruger 44 semi auto) easy to carry makes it more likely to make it to the tree, can reach to the top of the tallest tree equipped with a low powered scope can pick its way through the holes if need be, and really handy if they bay up on the ground. Bait sets I like my 375 H&H or anything that punches a good hole through both sides. Predator calling a light weight 30-06 with good low power scopes and 220 grain bullets is what I've carried, I haven't succeeded yet so I can't swear to that one yet. Your 300 magnum is also a respectable candidate for an all around choice.

My one & only Bear was shot with a 300 H & H Mag and Factory 180gr bullet one shot one Bear. I now reload for it & for now shooting 180 Nosler Partitions shot one wild hog with it and it was DRT but it did not exit estimated live Wt. 225 Lbs. When I'm out of Partitions I'm going to AccuBonds don't like the way the shell in magazine get flat tips from recoil. I am no Bear Expert but if I lived out west I would be all over them. I do plan on hunting them soon. Good luck Hunting.

My first one was with a 6.5-284 and 140 Berger. My second was with a 300 Win and 180 TTSX. My third will probably get hit with a 180 Berger from a 7 Mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.