Long Term Storage

coach p

Afternoon Gents

I find myself having to relocate for work and need advice on how best to store my rifles/Handguns. They might be in storage for up to three years and I don't want them to get damaged.

So what should I use to protect the barrels, actions and wood stocks?

Afternoon Gents

I find myself having to relocate for work and need advice on how best to store my rifles/Handguns. They might be in storage for up to three years and I don't want them to get damaged.

I have seen treated vacuum bags in rifle and pistol lengths ,I would search for something similar

Afternoon Gents

We have the perfect solution for you and your firearms so they will be kept in great working order.
We have some friends that are also going to be on Elon Musk's Space Station for several years and we are storing their valuables.
When you are getting ready to relocate send us a PM and we will give you the address to send your firearms (we have a FFL) or we could pick up depending on you location. We will take excellent care and storage of you firearms while you are away. We will also make sure that they continue to shoot properly with periodic firing and cleaning! We will only charge a minimal cost for cleaning materials. The ammo we use to keep your firearms updated is FREE!

Last edited:
Read this first:

Years ago, I received orders to go to Italy. I broke each firearm down and liberally applied a gun preservative and stored them in old GI foot lockers. Gave them to a friend who stored them off the ground in his garage. Happily, they all came through without any damage.
However, the wines I had put in another box all came out tasting off. His garage got too hot in the summer.
IMO, the procedures in the link above are much better.

Last edited:
Well in a more Professional answer. You can purchase several containers and Desiccants to control moister and Oxygen.
I am not saying we did this but you can get Poly Containers (30 gallon) with a seal in the lid for moister and air. You need to clean your firearms thoroughly. I would use G-96. After cleaning you firearms put them in possibly Silicon Socks. Don't Vaccuum pack seal each firearm. In the PVC Container place your firearm covered in the Silicon embedded material Sock so they don't contact each other. You can get a metal to metal corrosion. Then put several Desiccants in for moister and also to remove Oxygen. Oxygen is an oxidizer. Metal can not rust and wood not deteriorate without oxygen. This is important to get Desiccants for both Moister and Oxygen. When you have your SEALED PVC container make sure that you have a valve (Shrader) attached to the wall of the container so that you can hook up a Vaccuum pump to draw out all the air/moister.
If you do it right you can bury your firearms for many years and they will come out of the container like the day you put them in.

Last edited:
Afternoon Gents

Lots of good advice here, (especially Coyote Shadow Tracker). IMO:
Me? I'm a firm believer in locking them away with a very light film of oil on them, (I use RemOil), & making sure that they are not touching metal. Minimal oil on the inner workings so that it won't migrate down into or onto your stock. (I have stored some muzzle down before)
The number one No-No is to leave a fingerprint on any metal surface! I've never had a problem. IF they are exposed to temperature extremes I would be sure that they are not in a plastic bag, (sweat). Even if it expires while you're away, packing them away with plenty of dessicant is a great idea. Good luck with your future!

Well in a more Professional answer. You can purchase several containers and Desiccants to control moister and Oxygen.
I am not saying we did this but you can get Poly Containers (30 gallon) with a seal in the lid for moister and air. You need to clean your firearms thoroughly. I would use G-96. After cleaning you firearms put them in possibly Silicon Socks. Don't Vaccuum pack seal each firearm. In the PVC Container place your firearm covered in the Silicon embedded material Sock so they don't contact each other. You can get a metal to metal corrosion. Then put several Desiccants in for moister and also to remove Oxygen. Oxygen is an oxidizer. Metal can not rust and wood not deteriorate without oxygen. This is important to get Desiccants for both Moister and Oxygen. When you have your SEALED PVC container make sure that you have a valve (Shrader) attached to the wall of the container so that you can hook up a Vaccuum pump to draw out all the air/moister.
If you do it right you can bury your firearms for many years and they will come out of the container like the day you put them in.
Any links to recommended items?

Afternoon Gents

I use a product that I get from Brownells called "RIG", it is sort of like a grease/Vaseline type product. I also purchase a "RIG" rag that essentially is a lamb's wool leather shammy.Spread the RIG onto the cloth and wipe down anything that is steel on your guns, put a generous coating on it. This includes removing the barreled action so that you can get all of the blued and steel parts that one normally would not get without removing the barreled action from the stock. This includes wiping down the bolt and anyplace else that would be subject to rusting. Next I have nylon bore brushes for every caliber that I shoot/clean, and I keep these brushes inside of the tub of RIG, one-pint tub. I put a generous amount of RIG onto the brush and scrub the inside of the bore. I look inside after I am done scrubbing to make sure that there's a good coating of RIG inside of the barrel. Something else that I do is wipe the edge of the bore brush over the muzzle to leave enough RIG on the crown to let anyone who picks up the rifle/firearm that the barrel has a protective product inside. If the firearm is fired with the RIG in the barrel the results would be catastrophic. This product wipes off easily with a soft rag, and a couple of clean patches through the bore and you're set to go. Also check the inside of the chamber to make sure that it too is clean before chambering a round. I have been using this product for 40-50 years and have never had any issues whatsoever with it. Is the stuff a little bit greasy, yup; but.........I can put up with that a lot easier than having a rust issue. I am not a fab if gun cases for long term storage, however have kept one of my pet rifles in one, that has been RIGged for years without any issues. I suspect that there will be more replies that can/will help you with this. www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/rust-prevention/rig-universal-gun-grease-prod31842.aspx www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/rust-prevention/rig-rag-universal-grease-applicator-prod31843.aspx I'd just like to add that if you do purchase some RIG, purchase the large tub because I think you will be hooked on it.