Long term gun storage

brentp

Both myself and another family member recently inhereted several fireams. I will be giving his guns to him next time I see him. He does not shoot, so the guns he gets will likely sit and collect dust. These guns have a lot of sentamental value to both of us, and I might someday get the ones that he inhereted. Because of this, I want to make sure they stay in good condition. What would you reccomend that I do in order to make sure they stay preserved? The only time they would get cleaned is when I visit him every 1-3 years.

My plan is to get these guns as clean as I can and then put casmoline or something similar on intierer surfaces.

Are vacume sealed bags an option for preserving hand guns?

What do you guys think? Thanks for any help

Both myself and another family member recently inhereted several fireams. I will be giving his guns to him next time I see him. He does not shoot, so the guns he gets will likely sit and collect dust. These guns have a lot of sentamental value to both of us, and I might someday get the ones that he inhereted. Because of this, I want to make sure they stay in good condition. What would you reccomend that I do in order to make sure they stay preserved? The only time they would get cleaned is when I visit him every 1-3 years.

My plan is to get these guns as clean as I can and then put casmoline or something similar on intierer surfaces.

Are vacume sealed bags an option for preserving hand guns?

What do you guys think? Thanks for any help
you might think about nitrogin sealing its the same as vac paking but removes all the air and puts nitrogin in its place therefor no moisture used for packing jerky among other things.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.