Long-Term Caching?

Comancheria

Of those of you who tend to scout and hunt one area repeatedly, have you ever cached or considered caching disposables at or near your camp area up top? I am thinking here of leaving things like the following—either buried, covered with rocks, or hoisted into trees:

Water—in Rotopax or other containers (less than full, of course to prevent rupture over the Winter.

Canned Food—cans and jars—for example, peanut butter—would be heavy to pack in but would be difficult for critters to hack into.

Freeze dried suppers—would need a way to harden them against the aforementioned critters.

Propane canisters

Any thoughts or advice?

Best regards,

Russ

I have used army ammo cans with the rubber seals, I never had any thing short of humans getting into them and they come in varying sizes, the big cans for mortar rounds are the largest cans I have used. as I have a rather large tract of privite land to hunt that I cover it in one of my four wheelers and that makes carrying them in and out easy.

Attachments

• DSCN1144 (2).JPG
    DSCN1144 (2).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 229
  • DSCN9938 (2).JPG
    DSCN9938 (2).JPG
    772.3 KB · Views: 212
I'm gonna scout for a 2nd rifle hunt in Colorado in Sept, and I be packing in extra water then.

I never take in food stuffs because the bears and coyotes will find it, for sure. Water is certainly the heaviest to pack, but most essential where there are no streams.

I'm with both of you—with the exception that my hunting will almost exclusively on public land—much of it places off limits to motorized vehicles by the Forest Service. I do suspect the large ammo cans would be impervious to any raiding critters—with the obvious excption of Bears. Thanks

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.