Long term barrel storage

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
I acquired a brand new Krieger barrel and must store for a number of years. What methods and products are suggested for long term storage to keep it from corroding? Was thinking of pouring gun oil down the barrel until it drips out the other end but have heard of grease being used in the barrel as well.

I acquired a brand new Krieger barrel and must store for a number of years. What methods and products are suggested for long term storage to keep it from corroding? Was thinking of pouring gun oil down the barrel until it drips out the other end but have heard of grease being used in the barrel as well.

a long shaft (anykind) will warp! Never allow direct sunlight to contact it. Best to be hung vertically in a dark place (same for crankshafts and cam shafts by the way). You can buy spray cans of cosmoline and that's all you need. Wrap the O.D. with something soft. (even a paper towl will work. Do not plug the bore!
gary

i cover mine in non-hygroscopic (silicone based) automatic transmission fluid, wrapped with heavy paper saturated with the same fluid, and store them inside a mailing tube.
I've taken a few automatic transmissions apart and never found corrosion of any kind under the fluid on internal parts that alternatively heat and cool and are exposed to condensation over long periods of time.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts