Long Seating depth

seidersjoden

I just received my build and they cut the throat long so I could load the bullet out further, however, just measured bullet seating depth to the lanse and the neck of the shell only grips the bullet 1/8". Is that OK? Safe? I know it doesn't give me much room to chase the lanse as it burns down.

Any feedback greatly appreciated

Joden

No expert here, but many have said it should be loaded at least it's caliber length inside the case. I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in as well.

I just received my build and they cut the throat long so I could load the bullet out further, however, just measured bullet seating depth to the lanse and the neck of the shell only grips the bullet 1/8". Is that OK? Safe? I know it doesn't give me much room to chase the lanse as it burns down.

Any feedback greatly appreciated

Joden

Ok and safe. Two of my wildcats were intentionally designed short. The .224 used a 1/8" neck and the .257 used a 3/16" neck. The .224 wa a regular 3/8" rifle on a Savage action. The .257 was on the six lug Weatherby and would do 5/8" a lot. The .257 was my carry rifle until I had it rebarreled to .264" to take advantage of the better BC bullets.

Ok and safe. Two of my wildcats were intentionally designed short. The .224 used a 1/8" neck and the .257 used a 3/16" neck. The .224 wa a regular 3/8" rifle on a Savage action. The .257 was on the six lug Weatherby and would do 5/8" a lot. The .257 was my carry rifle until I had it rebarreled to .264" to take advantage of the better BC bullets.

Did you have a problem with bullet run out being that the neck doesn't grip on very much surface area of the bullet? I'm afraid that when caring them around in the mountains that that small of surface area the bullets will get knocked off kilter in the case.

Did you have a problem with bullet run out being that the neck doesn't grip on very much surface area of the bullet? I'm afraid that when caring them around in the mountains that that small of surface area the bullets will get knocked off kilter in the case.

The .224 was used single shot as a rock chuck rifle, so it didn't have that problem. I don't remember ever having a problem with the .257. I loaded one in the chamber and one down.

load some first to CBTO and try hand puling them apart. You'd be surprised the tension it creates. most long loads don't crimp but that is an option. you might also load some to mag length. I was surprised there is no difference in my CBTO and Mag length load when it comes to accuracy out to 650 yards.

And eighth of an inch is plenty even know I'm going to carry the ammo around and it could get banged around in my pocket. I'm doing a solo wilderness hunts for days on end, you don't think that the bullet run out will be affected?

And eighth of an inch is plenty even know I'm going to carry the ammo around and it could get banged around in my pocket. I'm doing a solo wilderness hunts for days on end, you don't think that the bullet run out will be affected?

Before I ever heard of bullet run out my longest kill on a rock chuck was 527 yards. I doubt in a hunting situation run out will be a problem. But I wouldn't argue with someone over it.

Seating deeper would give you more tension on the bullet. If you are able to touch the lands with just 1/8th" in the neck, you run the risk of having a bullet remain stuck in the bore when you remove a live round. That ends your hunting until you remove the barrel and clean out the spilled powder granules. I would try deeper seating depths until I find one that produces good accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.