Long range weekend hunting Roe Buck in Scotland

Jon2

Dear all

Just thought I would post some pics of my long range rig and what I got upto last weekend in Scotland hunting Roe Buck.

The rifle is a stock Remi 700 XCR in 7 Rem Mag just re-crowned and put into a B&C stock with the alu bedding block.

Scope is an NXS 3.5 - 15 x 50

Load used is 67 grns of RL22 behind a 150 grn BT using Winchester brass

The first picture is my 100 yard zero target or rather my 200 yard zero being confirmed.

The first shot on target (bottom right) is my sighter and then I used the 1" squares to get to where I needed it to be. Next 3 rounds virtually clover leafed as per the pic. Not sure what that group measures but I was good to go.

The next picture is my target at 500 yards. 3 rounds in a near perfect triangle in just over 1.5". The other holes on the paper are from a friends 6mm Ackley. The wind was approximately 5-10 MPH full value right to left and I got about 4 inches of drift at 500 yards. The next picture is me after an unsuccessful evening hunt. The last picture is a close up of the rifle in a shooting position. I had my eye on a Roe Buck which had been working his territory 540 yards away from me and he then started doing his rounds going away from me and ending up with me losing sight of him at 643 yards away.

I was only confident out to 500 as I hadn't done my drop chart beyond this range (my longest shot to date only being 503 yards). I had watched him do this little tour on 3 seperate occasions and I couldn't bridge the gap due to the relief of the land etc.

What I plan to do in the future is get my drop chart done out to 650 yards in preparation for my next visit and hopefully nobble him next time. I will be going up in the next 4-6 weeks again so hopefully get to catch up with him then.

Anyway hope you enjoy the pictures. Oh and forgot to say I did shoot a yearling buck at 245 yards on the first evening so just thought I would add to the post by showing you that picture too.

WeekndinDumfrieshirewithStu011.jpg

WeekndinDumfrieshirewithStu005.jpg

WeekndinDumfrieshirewithStu010.jpg

WeekndinDumfrieshirewithStu008.jpg

WeekndinDumfrieshirewithStu003.jpg

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the pics and update. Keep 'em coming, we've got a long ways to go until our hunting season starts up.

Cheers

Thanks fellas

If I get to catch up with him next time I will post a "take 2" version of events.

Yes Stu I know what you mean. When mods were made legal in the UK I only had one of my rifles threaded for a T8 but then after using that rifle extensively I became addicted to them.

I now have all my rifles threaded and never shoot a rifle without a mod unless I am abroad.

I do a fair bit a fallow culling in the winter months down south and I am glad of the reduction in noise to mitigate against hearing loss.

The other main benefit for me anyway is not losing your sight picture - seeing the bullet strike. It is also much easier I think to hear the strike on an animal as well. I know you can hear it sometimes with an un modded rifle but it is every egg a bird with a mod on.

I will be camping out next time I am up so will be staking this buck out and I am going to get 4 "outings" to try and catch up with him - 2 morning and 2 evening stalks so hopefully I will get a chance next time. Can't wait. As I say I will let you know if anything happens.

Thanks all

PS Swali yes it was wet but very mild and the deer were very active (virtually no wind throughout the weekend).

Re: Long range weekend hunting Roe Buck in Scotland (updated with pics).

Hi all

As I promised, I am just updating you as to the latest on this trip trying to catch up with a particular Roe buck.

I am slightly late in posting this as I was there on the 10th July (a previous trip yielded no results). To cut a long story short there are 2 mature bucks in this area. On the first night of my trip I saw the one had had been observing at long range at very last light. The colour had gone and I could hardly make out if it was a buck at first. He appeared for about 2 minutes at a range of 625yards. I dialed in but by the time I had done that and got back on, he had gone back into the trees (does that sound familiar?).

I went back the next night and got there early (19.00hrs). He crossed a ride at 500 yards at 19.20 hrs but didn't present a shot. Again only appearing this time for about 20 seconds.

I then waited until virtually last light (22.15) when he appeared or atleast what I thought was him. Suddenly on the clear fell, a muture buck. Coming onto me and not presenting a broadside shot. Pinged the BRF's and he was 263 yards. My spotter (good mate of mine) said "don't shoot until I see him". He then got him in his bino's and then he said "oh yes I've got him". Only to be quickly followed by "don't shoot there is another bigger buck coming down the ride - think he is going to chase the other away" (rut for Roe bucks was imminent). ANyway to cut a long story I pulled the trigger on the smaller of the 2 as he was perfectly broadside on. I thought we were at that point looking at the same animal. I didn't dial in as he was at the conventional range of 263 yrds. Dummfff - thwack - heart shot and he went in a 40yard semi circle and keeled over. The 7mil strikes again.

The other big boy needless to say was off. I never did see him. Anyway, alls well that ends well and the big lad is there for another day. I will try for him again but I doubt I will be there until Sept now as I have another appointment with some Roe bucks in the south of the country.

Apologies for the poor quality pic - I thought my digi camera was charged, but only managed to get 1 pic without flash.

I will update you further if I catch up with him. Actually while I was there I improved my long range position by cutting a load of branches off the Sitka that was obscuring my view so it will be a great position for the does in winter too (hee hee).

RoeBuckhunt8th-10thJuly002.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.