long range/varmint scope ideas for a 20" AR

squeeeeze

Finally have my Rock River Predator Pursuit 20" bead blasted barell/hogue rubber forearm grip AR-15 flat top coming next week. Looking for a scope to top it with.

It will be for Varmint hunting and somewhat range work. I'd like a long range type scope with Adj. turrets more for the Range and long distance shots when I have time to dial the turrets. Otherwise I'll be using it for calling and want some type of varmint reticle, dead hold, or mil-dot scope for quick holdover kill shots.

I am considering the Vortex Viper HS LR in 4-16x44, or possibly in a 50mm obj. Any thoughts? I'm not sure I'm crazy about the 1/2 MOA elevation adjustment though. Maybe the std. Viper HS with 1/4 MOA elevation? I like the zero stop on the LR though.

Kinda looking at the HS 4-16x50 FFP XLR and the Viper 4-16x50 FFP PST as well as maybe a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 with the DOA reticle.

Was tossing around the idea of a 4.5-14x44 AO Zeiss conquest Rapid Z reticle 800 and trying to fiddle and figure out the ballistics of the holdover there.

Thoughts, opinions, other reccomendations? I'd really like to keep it under the $600 mark if possible, but ya never know..... Looking for a lighter scope (22 oz and under) as I want my rig as light as I can considering I'm going with the PP for the lighter weight and this will be a field carry gun.

I've heard great things about the Elites and their glass brightness/clarity. The 2.5-16x42 Elite 6500 with DOA would be an awesome zoom range for me and maybe best of both worlds. I don't know anything about the Bushnells though, their turrets nor their DOA reticle.

Any other ideas or opinions on ANY of these scopes or other ideas for my needs to top my AR? I want the low end power to be no greater than 4.5, the lower the better.

I have the leuopold mark ar 6x18x40 on my ar and it is working out very well I have it set up so the turrets match my drops exactly. It also has mil dots for those times when you don't have time to dial. I know the low end power is a little higher than you wanted but it works great and for the price you can't beat it IMO. Might give it at least a look . Good luck with whatever you go with.

I have the leuopold mark ar 6x18x40 on my ar and it is working out very well I have it set up so the turrets match my drops exactly. It also has mil dots for those times when you don't have time to dial. I know the low end power is a little higher than you wanted but it works great and for the price you can't beat it IMO. Might give it at least a look . Good luck with whatever you go with.

Forgot to add it is also mounted on RRA dead dog 2.JPG

Good lookin gun and dog Rick! Yeah the 6 power is too high on the low end, but seems a lot of Leupold for the price. I already have a VX3 6.5-20x50 LR 30mm tube in varmint reticle that I don't wanna put on for that reason alone, so I'm tryin to figure out what new scope. een burned by the 6 power at close distances and couldn't aquire varmints quick enough to get the shots at close distances.

I'd looked at the Ar in the 4-12, but don't really want the 1/2 " MOA adj. elevation

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.