Long range target shooting with hunting bullets

twoseventywin

As the title said.....

Im seriously thinking of doing some mods to my savage .270 to make it more of a "long range" type gun. Heavier barrel and improving the factory stock. Honestly, this is going to be a fun project because I have absolutely ZERO money invested in this rifle, it was gave to me years ago.

But, to get back to the topic, the only dedicated target bullet I know of for 270 is the 135gr sierra matchking. What do you guys think of using soft tipped or polymer tipped hunting bullets? Like I said, this gun is going to be a fun little "what if" project and im not planning on 1/4 inch groups at 1000 yards, but id like to get good grouping at something 500-600.

A good prefit barrel a stock with good bedding and trigger.An the highest Bc bullets you can get for the twist you choose if you stay with 270 and I'd say it will shock you how good it will shoot.

140 grn accubonds will work for you and 140 grn ballistic tips shoot very well and will open up well at the range you are talking about.
Do the work on your rifle and then work up loads to your liking. Practice a lot and get good trigger time on your rifle and I believe you will be happy.
Good luck.
JW

Look into Berger. I shoot them exclusively. They make both Target and Hunting models of the same bullets, that way you don't have to waste your hunting bullets sighting in or load developing. They shoot the exact same, so no re-sighting in before season, unless you just want to check your scope.

Even though I use them almost exclusively, I'm not an expert on Berger bullets. But be careful not to confuse their hunting and target bullets as being the same. For example, their 180 7mm VLD is not the same as their 180 grain Hybrid Target. Same weight, different bullet contour.
Best recommendation I can make is: if you're going to use the rifle for hunting, then practice with hunting bullets. If it's a target rifle, then by all means select target bullets where available.
My second choice, other than my Bergers, are Sierra Match Kings.
Good hunting ................................

Even though I use them almost exclusively, I'm not an expert on Berger bullets. But be careful not to confuse their hunting and target bullets as being the same. For example, their 180 7mm VLD is not the same as their 180 grain Hybrid Target. Same weight, different bullet contour.
Best recommendation I can make is: if you're going to use the rifle for hunting, then practice with hunting bullets. If it's a target rifle, then by all means select target bullets where available.
My second choice, other than my Bergers, are Sierra Match Kings.
Good hunting ................................
A way I keep mine seperated and distinguished, when I fill out my reloading label, I write VLD-T (for Target) or VLD-H (for Hunting). And for Hybrids, I just write Hybrid.

Just to clear up some info already given, Berger does not have a 270 cal bullet in a Target version, only a hunting line so your not going to run into issues there.

If your plan is to rebarrel then you can really open your opportunities, Matrix ballistics makes a 165 gr VLD, at this moment it's thee finest hunting and target bullet in the 270 cal but it will need you to twist a barrel at 1-9 to get the most out of it. I live at a high enough elevation that I run them in 1-10 twist 270 all the time. You can have a legit sub 1/2 moa 270 cal at 1000 yards just like any other cal you just have to research out the right bullets and build components to maximize your accuracy and range potential.

Just to clear up some info already given, Berger does not have a 270 cal bullet in a Target version, only a hunting line so your not going to run into issues there.

If your plan is to rebarrel then you can really open your opportunities, Matrix ballistics makes a 165 gr VLD, at this moment it's thee finest hunting and target bullet in the 270 cal but it will need you to twist a barrel at 1-9 to get the most out of it. I live at a high enough elevation that I run them in 1-10 twist 270 all the time. You can have a legit sub 1/2 moa 270 cal at 1000 yards just like any other cal you just have to research out the right bullets and build components to maximize your accuracy and range potential.

What elevation are you at and how does that affect the twist rate?

Berger has a 150gr bullet which is nice for the 270 or step up to the 165gr Matrix to make your 270 a long range hitter. The 1-10 may or may not be be able to handle the 165. It for sure will be able to handle the 150 Berger.
My favorite hunting caliber is the 270. Its the old timer that has been swept under the rug by most, but I love it

This.

I have a .270 WSM that shoots .5MOA with Berger 140 gr. hunting VLD's. It's all I shoot through that rifle. I tried the 165 Matrix, but they would not shoot well through my 10 twist barrel.

I also have a custom long range 7mm that I shoot only Berger 180 gr hunting VLD's through. So far it has been doing pretty well out to the 3/4 mile mark.

if you are re-barreling you could easily just get a .284 . lot more bullets to choose from. no experrience with savage; with a krieger barrel and berger 130 or 150 i would expect really good groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.