Long range target and hunting leupold?

Teutonic

Hello all. I am trying to gather info on the Leupold 8.5-25x50 scope. The ERT seems to have a front focal? The LRT doesn't. I am not sure what that is and its utility.

Second question, what is the standard target knobs and reticle that I would find most useful for paper punching at distance up to 1000 yards and occ long shot on game, if I become proficient.

Leupold

Front focal plane is nice if you are using the recticle to range things. Most american scopes are second focal place, so when you turn the power up the recticel gets larger as well. So a SFP scope has a specific power that it needs to be set at for the reticel to be accurate. (talking Mil-dot). A first Focal plane can be used at any power. The rectile stays the same size as you turn the power up..It looks like it gets smaller and larger but the distance between the mil-dots stays the same. Most of your tacticle guys like FFP.

The ER/T is a nice setup, I just do not think the avarge shooter needs FFP scopes. ANd the use of modern range finders, the ranging aspect is not needed.

I hope i have not confused you and if i did let me know and i will try to explain it differently.

I would look at the VX-III 6-20-50 with side focus,fine duplex and standard knobs Then I would have the custom shop install M1 knobs on it. If you need more power then go with the 8-25 but the 20 power will get you to 1000 no problem.

this is a personal choice in reguards to the rectile. I like to dial for every shot and hold dead center. If you like to hold off then the Mil dot or TMR for leupld is nice but not as good as the Nighforce NPR selections IMHO.

Hope this helps..

Willys

Last edited:
very helpful. thanks for the work that went into that post. From what I can gather, the M1 knobs are simply hand turret 1/4 MOA adjustments, with the M3 being 1 and 1/2, elevation and windage, respectively? What are the M2 knobs?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.