Long Range Subsonic loading

Sorry sidetracked again, long distance subsonic I like to hear from members' experiences and results, not YouTube videos of non members!

One guy Turned up at our 1000yrds range with a 338 br one day. He was lobbing 300 smk in the NRA target pretty consistently. The comment of the guy in the trench doing the scoring was that the noise was like a big bubble bee flying above his head and passing through the target. A few years later I recovered few of those rounds in the butt and they were intact . No expansion nor deformation.
The 300 blackout would be a cheaper alternative.

One suggestion found to try was drilling out primer flashhole. Here is 6 Rem I drilled to 7/64" and lightly chamfered inside and out. This is supposed to help make powder igintion better. One thing to be aware of the larger flashhole is that it is UNSAFE with high pressure loads. To identify these cases I used Dremel to make a small notch. Now to test to see if this is worthwhile.

Like to hear of others experiences and what worked for them for Long Range Subsonic.

Attachments

• 20220128_164812.jpeg
    20220128_164812.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 43
Well I have played with sub sonic .22 both in rifles and pistols, none of which were silenced. The only thing that I noted was that there was no snap of the bullet going supersonic and super high trajectories. Fun to play with, but not very useful otherwise.

I have a Sheridan Silver Streak pellet rifle shooting .20 caliber pellets that is a lot of fun to shoot. I have shot it out to 50 yards at squirrels and once you get the range figured, the rifle sighted in at 10 pumps they are deadly accurate as well as deadly. Rabbits to about 30 yards works too using the factory peep sights. Also very much sub sonic. Never have chronographed the little pellet, maybe a project for when the weather is not in the sub zero temps much less chill factor. Does anyone else have a Sheridan?

Look at what the ELR .22 guys are using for ammo. If a subsonic rim fire can be used to hit targets at extended ranges then a centerfire bullet with higher BC sure will. I've shot lots of subsonic .308 just to do it. But the fun really happens with bigger bore stuff. My .510 sub rifle is built on a Savage. If you launch a 750 Amax subsonic it will lose only 100 fps velocity out to 600+ yards. I can also get that bullet up to around 1800 fps. My hunting load is a 725 grain Lehigh subsonic fracturing bullet (with payload) going 1k fps. There is nothing walking this planet I wouldn't take down with that load.
47192689-373B-4720-97F2-5350A8E192AB.jpeg
17D96461-35AF-4E29-B603-D77ED7C7B2F0.jpeg
16464C4F-4D08-48D3-BAA9-826B5CD88C66.jpeg

Keep it up, gals and guys. I'm being entertained and informed by all of your experiences with subsonic rounds.
My experience has been limited to simply converting my AR-15 to shoot subsonic accurately and extremely quietly by switching the barrel to a 1:7 twist AAC upper and adding a suppressor.
It is TOTALLY quiet.....no louder than the puff of a pellet gun. I wanted this setup for predators within 100 yds.

I play around with 2 30 cal subs---

I shoot 220 grain rn bullets from my 16" 308w using green dot powder(1:11 twist)-- they are stable--- they do not cycle the action in my ar
I also shoot- 195 mkz ( solid copper expanding bullets) from my 8.5" 300bo pistol using cfe blk (1:8 twist)- stable also-- this ar does cycle with these loads.

2 things I do with these is use magnum primers and enlarge the primer flash hole

At 100 yards, If my rifle is zeroed for supers-- the subs hit about 18 inches low

I want a 16" bolt action 308 to play with subs-- that would be fun.

Like to hear of others experiences and what worked for them for Long Range Subsonic.
labradar - Copy.png

I'm working on my 300 BLK bolt with an ATN X-Sight 4K and 1500 ABL to automatically do the drops for me. Goal is to take the 220 Sierras as far as I can. Hopefully the owner of the range is willing to work with me if I prove I can shoot and doesn't think I'm nuts 🤣

Backup plan for the scope is my ATACR on a 20 mil incline base. I'm also planning on seeing if I can use subs from this rifle to try to check scope tracking because it'll one-hole at 50 yards very cheaply. Takes a lot of paper to cover 34 mil of elevation travel , 50 yards would cut that to something like 65" being enough to cover the whole range on one target.

1000 yard shot with subsonic 458 socom, shooting a 570 gr Lehigh Defense bullet:
Well at least I'm not totally crazy, that's the same scope/laser I'm using.

Last edited:
Keep info coming!!

BRAVO4 is that .510 built on straight wall 308 case.

QuietTexan , with your right gear your getting there!!

Apologies if it's been covered I've looked but... There is a phenomena known as detonation if a small amount of powder in a large case explodes rather than burns normally. I have made a few sub loads for .223 using Blue Dot--normally used in shotgun shells. It is bulky and takes up some of the casing volume.
Just a word to the wise, proceed with caution when making sub loads.

When we were kids, we had two types of leather for our slingshots. One plain flat for solids and one with a hemispherical pocket for lead shot! Solids for big birds and shot for smaller ones!
Rubber side bands connected to a piece of leather (leather Tongue cut out of our shoes) Rubber bands made from a tire inner tube! Tree with a "Y" or "U" shape. Made the handle by placing a piece stick between the two "Y" ends and tied together the top of the two ends to form the "U" shape. Must use a GREEN tree. The place in your mom's oven to dry and cure. WAA LAA
A Sling Shot to shoot everything from Chipmunks to Bear!

probably 510wsm.
I've shot to 1180 with my 475rum and 1000gr bullet. Playing around just holding over, but I got within 3 feet!
Starting At 1100, it only loses around 200fps at that distance.

475rum and 300aac cases.

20200206_232523.jpg

20200123_194405.jpg
Screenshot_20200123-100647.png
20200123_194442.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts