Long Range Stocks

Hicks

I'm in the beginning stages of building a LR rifle based on a 700 Long Action. Originally the action is from a CDL in 7RUM, which burned out at about 500 rounds. I have a B&C Medalist that I'm not real fond of, seems like the actions doesn't fit as snugly as I'd like. Question: What stocks do you like, and why? Carlock uses H-S Precision, and I've been looking at McMillian as well.

Hicks

Going through the same process as you as we speak - I am really leaning towards Greybull Precision's stock which I understand is made by B&C. With that said - even though I like everything I've heard about them, I have not had a chance to use one let alone see one. Nothing wrong with the others you mentioned - it just bowls down to preference.

HS is certainly nice. McMillan speaks for itself! Manners is very nice, the MCS-TA and T is truly excellent. I would say any one of these 3 would more than get you started! These days, there are many Really Good stock makers, I am sure that somebody will chime in with others that I have missed.

Have a good one,
Gary

If I wanted to keep the cost low then HS they are very good stocks. I feel for me they need a cheek riser installed when using base with any MOA built in.

My choice if I was building another gun would be Manners. I have one now at its great, turn around time was super fast and it cost less than the McMillan and I here they are stronger too.

Stocky's makes a nice laminate for the Remingtons that is very similar to the A-5 McMillan. It comes with an aluminum bedding block. Even has a decelerator pad. It is called the Bobby Hart long range target/tactical. The cheek is high enough for a picatinny rail and 50 mm scope. It will accomodate a heavy varmint taper barrel. It is on sale till 1/31/11 for just under $300.

I have one with the glossy finish and it was nicely done. I get the wow comments frequently.

*NEW!* Bobby Hart AccuBlock Long Range Target / Tactical

Here is my rifle with its 30 BR barrel. It will soon be a switch barrel with the second barrel a 31" bartlein in 6mm-284.

30BRwithStockyslaminate005.jpg

30BRwithStockyslaminate003.jpg

Everyone has mentioned a lot of good stocks.

Mcmillian and Manners are the top Two if you want composite, followed by HS and then B&C. I have a B&C on one gun, does it work? Yes, but I find it to be two felexible when shooting of a Bi-Pod.

If you want something Different that stands out form the crowd, look no futher than Joel Russo. Not only is his stuff TOP NOTCH! He is one hell of a guy to deal with. He says what he is going to do when he is going to do it, unlike most in the gun business.

His Laminate A5 is a exact copy of the Mcmillian A5. I now have three of them because they are that good. When some people say a 95% inlett run enless you like woodworking. Joels are 100% drop in.

He is active on this sight, so if you would like to talk with him, send him a message or look at his website. Home_Page

I might sound Bias, but his stuff is great and will be ordering more to replace a B&C.

Here is a couple pics of his work.
DSC_0683.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

DSC_0736.jpg

Oh, if you want something even nicer, he can help you out with this as well! He helped me put this together for my dad.
DSC_0520.jpg

Very pretty.

What kind of scope mounting hardware are you using?

Hicks

The fancy stock has Leupold..

The others,
Black on Black Stock--EGW, They are the only one that makes it for HOWA.
Black and Brown Stock--I think its Nightforce base with Ken Ferral Rings.
Black, Brown and Green--Nightforce base and TPS rings.

Thanks for the compliment

Willys46

Willys46,

I'm afraid to even ask this question but how much for the laminate with the adjustment? I was also under the impression that laminate, while stronger on average than wood, was not as desirable as composite for that reason. Also, what kind of wood is that on your dad's rifle?

Hicks

I almost hate to post about laminate wood stocks. The reason being, I am stoopid! I love wood, and I love really nice wood best of all. My pocket book however hates nice wood! I read up on a guy who does custom (customer specified) laminate blanks / stocks a while back. One thing he could do was a Tripple Laminate that gave most of the benefit of the standard multi-lam but allowed him to really show case the beauty of the very fancy wood the customer specified. I drooled so hard...and just could not afford it.

If you get the right combination of expensive hard woods and have them laminated, you end up heavier than a composite, but pretty dang close for weather ability.

Gary

I just fitted a Grey Bull stock to my Remington 700 in .338 RUM.

It is lighter than a B & C. I have been quite pleased with it.

mypic59.jpg

Laminates have a great feel that you just don't get with synthetics. Don't get me wrong I have both. I cannot argue with a Russo stock. Everyone should have at least one.

You asked about hardware. This rifle is an Interarms Mark X that Joel specially inletted for me. Near Mfg. made the picatinny rail and as far as I can determine they are the only ones making one for a Mark X. The rings are Burris Extremes. Leupold LR 8.5-25 x 50 with target turrets.

Heavy7RemMag003.jpg

Heavy7RemMag005.jpg

Heavy7RemMag007.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts