Long Range Steel Thickness

What I did before spending money on ar steel, I welded used up grader blades together and used that. They're hard but with my 6.5prc shooting 156berger at 650yrds it about punched through, so I think I'm going to try my 1/4" ar400 that I bought for shooting a mile and see how it holds up. Also was pondering on cutting out a 3/8" ar500 plate at work and using that but I'll see how the 400 will do first.

Do you know a farmer? Old disk blades work great. 5/16" 20" 24"
[h3][/h3]
I've got disk blades but if I was to use disk blades I'd use a rome disk blade......they're bigger and you can cut them down to whatever size but they're thicker. But on a down side to disk blades is the hole in the middle.

These are my favorite targets. You can get hits and do precision on the heads. 1 1/2 inch head on the smaller one and 4" head on the larger on. Velocity is all that damages the targets. I do have to back the one that stabs in the ground with a sand bag so the magnums don't knock it over

Attachments

• IMG_1938.PNG
    IMG_1938.PNG
    69.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1939.PNG
    IMG_1939.PNG
    77.2 KB · Views: 78
I have 3/8" ar500 at longer distances say 800+ it works fine. I would like to try some 1/4" just to see, it should give a bit more ring.
Speed kills steel, once your velocity has dropped down a bit you can def go thinner.
At 300 yards a 7rm,25-06, will blow through 3/16 steel but a 308 can't so if punching holes isn't what you want back off to 600yards at that point the 7rm will not punch through with hunting rounds. The 3/16 steel is half as thick and half the cost🤠 mine is 4'x5' but gets shot at from 1800 yards with a 416 Barrett also. And it punches holes each time so I keep backing off👍😁👍

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.