Long Range Squirrels

When I was really into indoor pistol shooting (mid to late 70's) I could shoot .45 (cast bullets) .38 (cast bullets) and .22 rimfire all for the same cost. Not anymore! The primers are more than the rimfire ammo!

This is a very good discussion to have. My costs are 77/500 20 grain 17 cal vmax, primers I bought at 5 bucks for 100 and I get 400 17fb-700 of 17 HH rounds out of a $30 pound of powder. So that works out to 7.60/50 for 17 HH that travels 3600 fps. 17 hmr was 20 for 50. Even if you double all the component prices your are still at 15.20/50. I get over 20 loads on brass so I don't usually count brass cost.
You have to count brass cost. No way around loading without it. Also 30.00 lb powder prices are history. 50.00 mostly anywhere today and that's a deal. I went by today's prices on everything. 15.99 for 50 17 HMR is what I used based on current pricing at a couple outlets. I did use .223 ammo for the reload. Don't and have never priced 17 centerfire. It's why I said I may be wrong on my assumptions.

When the 17 hmr came out, I made a 17 AH. For the same reason. Even back then I could load for so much cheaper than buying the hmr.
I already had a hornet

One of my long range squirrel kill stories, guaranteed true. We had an old neighbor who was very small in stature and thin of build. Kenny was one of those old boys that farmed with small tractors, and in his 80's would out-work most younger men. He was a god-faring man, a great neighbor, and one of the last of his breed. I had permission to hunt his large grove for squirrels. He hated them, They chewed holes in his wooden corn cribs and chewed up the wooden fences. He had tried traps and even tried drowning them in a stock tank. When I came along and asked him if I could hunt squirrels in his grove, he was absolutely exited. He offered to pay me tentyfive cents for each one I killed, and I got to keep the meat. The tails I salted and sold to the Mepp's Fishing Company in lots of 100, for a whole dime a piece. More than paid for ammo back then in the mid 70's. One day, Kenny and I were taking outside his house. He had his back to the grove, and over his shoulder I watched a big red squirrel climb out onto a horizontal tree branch to take a nap. I said "excuse me" and I stepped aside to take an offhand shot. I dropped the squirrel and Kenny couldn't believe it. He stepped off over 100 yards. He walked off to his car shaking his head. Later I went into town to the local bar. I was only old enough to buy a Pepsi back then. I was greeted by a bunch of guys who took an unusual attention to me. I was kidded and asked all sorts of shooting questions. Turns out, Kenny had been there before me and had told them all about my shooting. Guess really, I felt pretty proud. Kenny and the grove are long gone, but I have great memories.

Neat idea, but with the cost of rimfire ammo I would be seriously looking at the 22 Hornet, 17 HH or the 17 Fireball if I wanted 3000+ fps. I can reload any of them for less than 17 HMR costs and they are WAY more accurate at 200 and 300 yards than any of the rimfire options.
Nice idea but I quit reloading years ago. I was thinking of buying one of those and then decided no, am done with reloading.