Long Range Squirrels

If you want something that is as quiet as a 17HMR but good for head shots to 300 yards, try a 22 Hornet. Loaded with 12.6 grains of Lil'Gun, 40 grain Vmax or Sierra Blitzking in WW brass with a Fed small pistol primer. Will shoot well under an inch at 200 yards.

Target aquares are 1/2" on a side.

I9Oc63kl.jpg
My brother Charlie agrees with this very much.

If you want something that is as quiet as a 17HMR but good for head shots to 300 yards, try a 22 Hornet. Loaded with 12.6 grains of Lil'Gun, 40 grain Vmax or Sierra Blitzking in WW brass with a Fed small pistol primer. Will shoot well under an inch at 200 yards.

Target aquares are 1/2" on a side.

I9Oc63kl.jpg
How are you finding squirrels at 300 yards?

How are you finding squirrels at 300 yards?
Combination of using the rifle scope and a Leica crf. They stick out pretty good. Gophers are about 6-8" tall by 3-4" wide. You can see them with your bare eyes well past 200 in short grass. I would think tree squirrels would be just as visible and I presume no one would be imprudent enough to be shooting squirrels that are in trees at 100 to 200 yards.

Last edited:
Combination of using the rifle scope and a Leica crf. They stick out pretty good. Gophers are about 6-8" tall by 3-4" wide. You can see them with your bare eyes well past 200 in short grass.
So you're looking on the ground not in the tree tops? I've always looked up for them.

Am reviving this thread. Our squirrel season closed and I ordered another squirrel rifle, a Savage A1 .17 WSM Sporter early last month. It is on back-order.

I was laid up the last month of season due to a fall during hunting 12/24.

Ours is closed too. We wanted to get out and hunt more, but figured we'd let them have some babies to get the population up first. When we hunt aquirrels, it isn't hard to clean out a woods, so we have to be careful how often and how many we take. I know people say you can't shoot too many, but we definitely can.