Long-Range Spotting Devices

cronhelm

A catalog from a mailorder store hit my desk today and while idly flipping through it I cam across something V E R Y interesting.

What other hobby requires super high quality optics with a lot of magnification power?

Astronomy.

Anyone ever consider using an astronomical telescope for spotting at long range?

If you are thinking of a huge and unwieldy telescope, think again. There seems to be a new generation of large, high powered but compact telescopes on the market.

These devices all seem to come complete with a tripod, a small "finder scope" and huge objective lenses.

Some of these telescopes have way too much power but a few have interchangeable eye pieces anywhere from 16x to about 200x.

The main reason I noticed these telescopes is that in the catalog they were placed beside a pair of tripod mountable 20x binoculars. Interestingly enough the binos are about $70 more expensive than the most expensive telescope and the binos do not include the tripod.

I think this discovery requires some more investigation before any money gets put down but it looks to have some promise.

Peter Cronhelm

Peter-
A while back at www.benchrest.com (Centerfire Forum) there was some discussion about using the Meade ETX 90 for a spotting scope. IIRC, it got good reveiws. If no one here has tried it, you might go there and ask for the guys who have one.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.