Long Range shots - elevation right on always to the right

NVHunter1

I am hoping some one out there can clear up a mystery for me. I have been shooting and reloading and have found a load that works real well in my 300 rum. I am using a Huskemaw scope and cant figure out how to correct my problem. I am zeroed at 200 yards, I move to 400 yards elevation is perfect and I am 4 inches to the right, 600 yards elevation is perfect and I am 6" to the right 800 yards elevation is perfect but I am 8" to the right. 1 MOA to the right no matter what distance. I thought my reticle might be off so I did the inverted T test, shot at 100 yards ok ran the scope up 50 clicks and the bullet was right above the 100 at the desired height, I was expecting that I would see it was going to be to the right but it was right on. I am at a loss on what to do next. Help!! I guess I could dial the windage 1 MOA to the right but then I will be 2" left at 200 yards. gun)

PS all shots are from a fixed bench same setup for each distance.

Load is a 200 gr AB with 88 gr of H1000, Rem 9 1/2 primer. 3000FPS 1/2 Moa groups

I am hoping some one out there can clear up a mystery for me. I have been shooting and reloading and have found a load that works real well in my 300 rum. I am using a Huskemaw scope and cant figure out how to correct my problem. I am zeroed at 200 yards, I move to 400 yards elevation is perfect and I am 4 inches to the right, 600 yards elevation is perfect and I am 6" to the right 800 yards elevation is perfect but I am 8" to the right. 1 MOA to the right no matter what distance. I thought my reticle might be off so I did the inverted T test, shot at 100 yards ok ran the scope up 50 clicks and the bullet was right above the 100 at the desired height, I was expecting that I would see it was going to be to the right but it was right on. I am at a loss on what to do next. Help!! I guess I could dial the windage 1 MOA to the right but then I will be 2" left at 200 yards. gun)

Load is a 200 gr AB with 88 gr of H1000, Rem 9 1/2 primer. 3000FPS 1/2 Moa groups
I'd say go ahead and correct for your 400yd windage and get it dead on there.

Then bring it in to 100yds and see where you are.

If you're still dead on at 100, then something's fishy..

It almost makes me think your scope is mounted with a twist/yaw right to left.

If you have a right hand twist barrel it could be spin drift. I add .75 moa left at 800 yrds on my 338 edge. Go look at the G-7 balistic program and it will calculate the adjustments you need.

Last edited:
You've just discovered spin drift and Coriolis drift.

There are lots of historical Threads covering these topics. If you use the Search feature, you should find a day's or more reading material.

phorath had basicaly the same problem that he posted in Nov. 08 see Left @ 300 yds - Right @ 1000 yds? WTH?

here was my sugestion

Re: Left @ 300 yds - Right @ 1000 yds? WTH?
I don't know what bases you are using, solid or windage adjustable, but I had the same problem with my 300Win mag Leupold 4.5 x14LR with Leupold windage adjustable bases. If your scope is not in perfect alignment with your barrell for windage you will experience crossover. A lot of shooters, and shops for that matter, will mount a scope on windage adjustable bases, then adjust the windage using only the crosshair windage adjustment. It is very important to adjust the windage first by using the windage adjustment on the base, fine tune with the crosshair adjustment. It is very important to start with the crosshairs centered for windage. A very easy way to check this is to place a mirror against the objective of your scope, if you see two sets of windage crosshairs, the crosshairs are not centered. Bring the crosshairs back to zero and adjust windage first by adjusting the base adjustment. Hope this helps, it solved my problems

It looks like it solved his problem, most likely would solve yours

icon14.gif
No more Left @ 300 yds - Right @ 1000 yds?
OK, finally had a cold, windless, Alaskan day today, which allowed me to shoot at 1000 yds in ideal conditions.

Problem was: My scope wasn't mounted exactly parallel to the receiver/barrel on my Tikka T3 7mm Rem Mag. It was pointed off towards the right.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas guys, I am using Tally one piece rings so thier is no windage adjustments. I will try the mirror trick. I am sure I am going to practice all these long range shots and My elk will stand there at 100 yards beggin to get shot. I will keep you posted if I descover something

Interesting about the windage bases. I have them on my .308 and my elevation is always fine but the horizontal zero seems to give me fits regularly. Thanks for the tip!

I re-read your post and things don't add up to me.
zeroed @ 200 yds
4" rt @ 400 = 2 moa (4" in the next 200 yds = 2moa shift from 200-400 yds
6" rt @ 600 =1.5 moa (6" shift in 400 yds from 200-600)
8 "rt @ 800 =1.3 moa (8"shift in 600 yds from200-800)

Whats it do at 100
have you had anyone else shoot ?
have you tried a diferent bullet?

I had a remmy SA that gave me fits. the base was canted and all shots drifted to the right. My smith leveled the base with some type of bedding and now I'm good to go. I think you have too much drift to attribute it to spin drift or anything else.

What you are seeing is way too much for spin drift. I never use windage adjustable rings. I would suspect them or your crosshairs are not plumb. Level your rifle, hang a weighted string at 100 yards and make sure your horizontal crosshair is square with the string. You also need a level mounted on your rifle. It is very easy to have your rifle canted and not realize it.

I re-read your post and things don't add up to me.
zeroed @ 200 yds
4" rt @ 400 = 2 moa (4" in the next 200 yds = 2moa shift from 200-400 yds
6" rt @ 600 =1.5 moa (6" shift in 400 yds from 200-600)
8 "rt @ 800 =1.3 moa (8"shift in 600 yds from200-800)

Whats it do at 100
have you had anyone else shoot ?
have you tried a diferent bullet?
You can also use the corner edge of any building to check plum/cant and then you never get into any issues with wind affecting your plumbob

I had a remmy SA that gave me fits. the base was canted and all shots drifted to the right. My smith leveled the base with some type of bedding and now I'm good to go. I think you have too much drift to attribute it to spin drift or anything else.

Without knowing what your action or your base is I would guess you have a remington action that rolls of to the side on the back. If you happen to be using a rail when you tighten it down it probably twists and now you have a right problem. If the base was bedded I would be willing to bet your right goes away. Most remington actions roll off to the side on the back.

Actually the windage adjustable mounts such as the Leupold standard mounts work great.

Before mounting center the windage adjustment.

Mount.

Boresight and adjust the windage using the windage screws on the mounts rather than the windage adjustment on the scope.

Once centered locktite the windage adjustment screws in place one at a time.

Then you never run into a problem of running out of windage to either side in the event your mounting holes are not exactly centered to the bbl.

My guess is you have a scope that doesn't track properly, I would remount it on a different rifle with different rings and base and try it again. As you are dialing up elevation, you impacts are consistently moving right, therefore it is safe to assume that your erector tube is moving to the right as it is moving up.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.