Long Range shot gun???

Ringed shells, eh??
Never did that but years gone by have killed a lot of game at the extreme edge of what a shotgun is capable of, with many 80+ yard kills. Most of the time it was with flour buffered lead shot, but at times larger steel or the more exotic shot was used. I dropped a 13# goose once at 75 yards with one 3.5" bismuth round.

I have a bunch of 3.5" "Dead Coyote" 4 buck for geese this year if I actually get out. When lead was legal on Canada's we used buckshot on them for kills at over 100 yards regularly.

I'd really like to call HORSE SCHITT on this but I've been told that I'm impolite so I'll refrain.
Most shotgun loads/ chokes aren't capable of hitting the broad side of a barn at anything over 60 yards or so; moreover, most shot-gunners haven't a clue how far you actually have to lead at those distances so even if their gun is patterning it'll be a cold day in hell before they connect. You actually have to pattern your shotgun and you have to shoot plenty of trap with your hunting loads to figure out your extreme leads. Working a shotgun to the edge of lethality is much like long range rifle hunting; you need to put in your dues or you have no business playing.

First things first if you are serious about good long range shot-shells. Get away from plastic wads and extremely heavy shot payloads. Find some load data for card and filler loads some good larger size (#4-BB) magnum grade shot. Then you need to pattern your loads in the choke you will hunt with and tweak the load using powder charge weight, buffer level, column height, etc. to find a load that'll pattern well enough to put at least 4 to 5 pellets in a bird at your max. distance.
The load we've used over the years is a medium dose of 4756, card and filler, win AA hull, 1 1/4 oz magnum grade #3 shot, win 209?- not 100% sure on that one- the data is at my Pop's place. The buffer acts as a rather heavy bore drag so DO NOT use regular shot-shell data for buffered loads.

P.S. if you use flour buffered loads, don't get them wet as you may have issues with the flour solidifying in the shot-shell; that could create pressure issues.

Most shotgun loads/ chokes aren't capable of hitting the broad side of a barn at anything over 60 yards or so; moreover, most shot-gunners haven't a clue how far you actually have to lead at those distances so even if their gun is patterning it'll be a cold day in hell before they connect. You actually have to pattern your shotgun and you have to shoot plenty of trap with your hunting loads to figure out your extreme leads. Working a shotgun to the edge of lethality is much like long range rifle hunting; you need to put in your dues or you have no business playing.

I know all about shotguns since I've been shooting one since age six and it would take two 18 wheelers to haul off all the bobwhite quail, ducks, and deer I've killed shooting them but for a couple of the statements made in this original post.....for lethal shots at 200 yards....I can see where that might take place with shooting 000 buckshot from a 3" Mag but for being accurate...that's another deal altogether. And I've heard of 'waxing' and ringing shotgun shells but my balls haven't been big enough to ever try that cause I had no need for it!!

I know all about shotguns since I've been shooting one since age six and it would take two 18 wheelers to haul off all the bobwhite quail, ducks, and deer I've killed shooting them but for a couple of the statements made in this original post.....for lethal shots at 200 yards....I can see where that might take place with shooting 000 buckshot from a 3" Mag but for being accurate...that's another deal altogether. And I've heard of 'waxing' and ringing shotgun shells but my balls haven't been big enough to ever try that cause I had no need for it!!

Many moons ago we could fill on pheasant, grouse, partridge, and ducks with a smattering of geese by noon. Those days are behind us now in ND. The last few years it hasn't been worth the gas around here to get out for birds after the first few weekends so I haven't bothered to load or pattern any high performance loads in over five years.
I'm not saying 200 yards is going to happen with a shotgun either, but I was pointing out that you can get out a lot farther than most people think is possible with a shotgun just by applying the correct techniques and learning your weapon. Making an argument exactly what shot size, range, etc. is going to be absolute max. is folly to me and I'm not going there. Go to your max. capabilities based on your skill and the load's capabilities and call it a day.

Come on guys. 200 yard kill shots and car door penetration are simple just get a 150 yard barrel. On the serious side 150 yards is not out of the relm of possibility with slugs. Never pushed to 200 however pattern your drops and it can be done.

Come on guys. 200 yard kill shots and car door penetration are simple just get a 150 yard barrel. On the serious side 150 yards is not out of the relm of possibility with slugs. Never pushed to 200 however pattern your drops and it can be done.
just have to use a bipod for that 150yrd.barrel lol. I have pushed my slug gun to 200 though it was shooting 4in at 200 with hornady sst. It was the reason I got into long range shooting with rifles the bug bit me when I hit 3 out of 4 shots at 400yrd steel plate with my slug gun that same day I went out and bought a TC Venture 3006 and then there was no turning back lol...

:D

...or just use a short BBL and "ring" your shells. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.