Long range shooting the 45-70.

Thank you Feenix. Just as cool the third time I watch it as the first. Lol that is cool

My Shilo Sharps in 45-70, 34" Model 73 that I owned since the early 90's. It's shown with my 526gr Lyman cast bullets over full volume(cardboard wad) charge of GOEX Cartridge Black Powder at 1350 FPS. Never had the chance to shoot it much past 500 yards, but at that distance I could consistently hit clay pigeon targets using the surprisingly precise Montana peep rear and Globe front sights. Prone off the sticks, the curved steel bott plate will loosen your teeth! Also have the same rifle in the lighter "Hunter" configuration with a 26" heavy round barrel/shotgun butt, open sights. With 405gr Hornady RN, using smokeless powder, it made for an effective 200+ yard deer rifle.
40ECA50F-5F90-43EE-BD05-017D68C04C42.jpeg

COBrad yes I did have to trim my cases to the shorter length. May be I should not say had to I just did it because the Hornady manual said I had to. They said to to do it with all lever guns I think. When youget down to it would depend where the lands are in your rifle.

I thought it was feeding from the magazine tube that was the issue. Guess I'll see when I start reloading. I've heard so many good reports about this bullet I want to give them a try.

I can not compain about them at least as far as accuracy goes. I have never shot an animal with them but I do shoot a bunch of water melons and cantalope and the performance was superb. Try then your rifle without trimming and see if there are any feeding issues and maybe mark bullets to see if they enter the lands.

My 1886 is loaded with 4895 powder with a 330 Gould HP bullet. Drops deer like a hammer hit them. It has a marbles tang sight.
My pederosoli 34" target rolling block has a Mike Yazel tang sight. This sight is good for way past 1200 yds. It shoots a postel bullet that is 545+grains. This rifle has shot a 10 shot group under 2" at 200 meters. Also 10 shot group at 500 meters 7-8 inches regularly. Best was under 6". It's loaded with black powder.
We found that black powder is more consistent with FPS than modern powder.
I also have a 22 lr tube/insert for shooting reduced size silhouettes out to 100 yards. This drops down the rolling block barrel.

My wife and I were in Amarillo Tx last week and heard about a young fella doing cowboy pistol and rifle work. Jim Finch sold him his shop in Amarillo to him and I guess been working with this young man for some years. Anyway, he had a custom Sharps 45-70 that he built on the counter. Built his own barrel. The rifle was a beautiful piece of work with gorgeous wood.

His 100 yard test target was .25

The rifle has been stuck in my head for a week now and my wife wants to shoot a elk with it.

I may have to go back and pick it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.