Long range shooting in Germany

A brief description before my question: I am in the Air Force and leavig for Korea for a one year remote tour near the DMZ. After Korea I will be living near Ramstein AB, Germany. I am new to long range shooting/hunting.

Question: Are there any shooting ranges in Germany (Rheinland-Pfalz area) that I can shoot over 300+ yards? I won't be able to shoot for a year while in Korea, but I would like to shoot in Germany. Does anyone have any knowledge of shooting over there, or would I be better off leaving my guns in the states and wait until I return to pick it back up agian? Thanks for any help.

Knappy

Knappy,
As far i know there is only one range that reaches out to 1000yds in Germany, and that is situated at the military training area Sennelager, the nearest town being Paderborn. This range is under the control of the British army. I obtained this information some 5 years ago, so it may be worth checking if it is in operation by contacting the BDMP ( Bund der Militar-und Polizeischutzen ) in Germany, e-mail [email protected]they should be able to tell you.
300m 3 position ISU shooting is quite popular in Germany, so if you can limit your shooting to that distance you should have no problem finding a range, the BDMP can advise you here aswell. Forum member Pete Lincoln lives in Germany, do a search on his profile for his e-mail address, he may be also able to help you. Finally i did not shoot for 14 months through severe illness, the thought of resuming my shooting speedily helped my recovery, but the wait was terrible. How will you cope with not shooting for a year? I hope this information will help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cebtre Punch.

Knapp contacted me via email. The facility at Sennelager is still in operation and you can get out to 1000 yards as far as i remember. There is a severe lack of longer ranges in this country, but due to bieng in the USAF you should be able to get range time through the garrison Rod and Gun club, most military garrisons have at least a 300m range. Osnabruck does (my home base) and i know the US Servicemen in the town where i work use the ranges here for recreational shooting through the gun club. I will try to find locations of any more long ranges around Ramstein area. I can sort you out with some decent hunting in Germany and Scotland, so bring your rifle and your hunting boots.
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts